Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Other things to feed your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    For me it isn't the ick factor, I just feel so bad cutting up those desperate, squirming, live animals. I did it years ago when feeding a baby bird and it was just too much, ended up freezing them solid and cutting them up after. I am also suspicious of anything like that from Walmart, they aren't selling them as food so God only knows where they are getting them and what they are being fed.
    Walmart gets their night crawlers from DMF Bait Co. I also buy from DMF and have never had any issues with the worms.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Walmart gets their night crawlers from DMF Bait Co. I also buy from DMF and have never had any issues with the worms.
    Yeah well I called the hardware store in town and they only had red wigglers, but he told me about the little gas station down the street that carries night crawlers (small towns are awesome!). They will get some nightcrawlers in on Friday and I will buy some. Not making any promises regarding a repeat, but we will try them and see how it goes. I also get my new albino flame on Friday so maybe it can be a little garter welcome/celebration party worm feast.

You know, you evenually get over the 'feeling bad' thing. I cried the first time I had to cut up a worm. I cried the second time. The third time I was just a little upset, and the fourth time I stopped caring. If you cut them up really fast, there shouldn't be an issue. I cut very large night crawlers into newborn garter sized chunks within a few seconds.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    You know, you evenually get over the 'feeling bad' thing. I cried the first time I had to cut up a worm. I cried the second time. The third time I was just a little upset, and the fourth time I stopped caring. If you cut them up really fast, there shouldn't be an issue. I cut very large night crawlers into newborn garter sized chunks within a few seconds.
    Yeah I am thinking I will buy a package of hardware store razor blades. If babies happen to arrive I will likely have to do it, for the more grown snakes it will depend on how unpleasant it is.

Razor blades are great for cutting the worms up. That's what I used at first. I just use a regular filet knife.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"First shed In Progress" xStatic's Avatar

I think worms are pretty well adapted to being pulled into smaller pieces. I remember many times as a kid trying to collect worms from the soil and accidentally pulling them in half when I went to pull them out. The part of the worm with the "head" will continue living even if you chop the "tail" end off multiple times. At first it sort of bothered me too, but I soon got use to it. At least the worms are being used to keep your snakes healthy instead of being stabbed onto a fishing hook and cast into a lake (no offence fishing-people, I've fished with worms many times myself).
    0.0.1 Albino Checkered Garter Snake 1.1.0 Corn Snakes 1.1.0 Rosy Boas 1.0.0 Ball Python 1.0.0 Crested Gecko 0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink