Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning cage

Cleaning cage

I've read, at least, the substrate should be changed every week. Is that about right? Or is it more or less depending on how dirty it gets? Obviously I wouldn't want to wait till it's filthy to clean, but will occasional spot cleanings suffice and possibly changing substrate every 2-3 weeks and scrubbing out the cage? He's little and the only one in there and so far hasn't made much of a mess. Although I did already clean out his cage once just to be on the safe side.

Re: Cleaning cage

You'll need to figure out what works for you. I do a lot of spot cleaning since the substrate I use alerts me to what needs removed.
    Then the whole thing gets changed every month.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

I used to use newspaper, which required weekly changes. As I got more snakes I didn't have enough newspaper so I started buying Carefresh. Now I kind of treat it like a cat's litter box - frequent spot cleaning and occasional full-changes. When I do a full change I give the bottom a quick scrub, and every 6 months or so I'll take everything out and disenfect with dilute bleach.

I haven't nailed down a substrate yet, still on paper towel. I get a little obsessive when it comes to certain things, so the routine I find myself in now is I get home from work first thing through the door in the morning or first thing when I wake on days off, and I change out the paper towels, wash down the fake plants, and change the water. Don't know if this is too often, but I figure you can never be too clean, and I have to get in there everyday to give fresh water anyway.

Unless it's stressing the snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Unless it's stressing the snake.
    I don't think (hope) it is Steve. I can place my hand flat on the bottom of the tank, palm up, and she will crawl right up into my hand now. She likes me......

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I like loose substrates... better in most ways. The cleaning aspect is my favorite! Just scoop the poop and you're good for a while. I like to do a thorough cleaning about once a month. But it really depends on how many snakes you have in how big of an enclosure. You have to figure out what works for you.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

We use aspen from the feed store (little bigger shavings and better quality than walmart) and we spot clean daily and full clean every 2-3 weeks. We have several snakes in one enclosure though.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Subadult snake InsanePirateDragon's Avatar

I'm using reptibark with a bit of the carefresh mixed in certain places as a test at the moment, been spot cleaning when I find it. I usually change out the bedding every month. Might mix it with the coconut husk that I keep hearing about that sounds really nice.

But the quarentee tank gets paper towels, and added a bit of carefresh for experimenting, so that I can watch for poo and make sure everything's working. And that gets changed every other day.

Yeah I'm paranoid...
    2.0.0 T. s. parietalis (Marley and Sully)
    One Ornate Box Turtle
    And one grumpy bitey Leopard Gecko

Yes...I think you will find that with most substrates you can spot clean for quite a while and then just do a substrate change and throrough cleaning of the tank about once a month. I think it is something that you learn to detect...when a tank needs to be cleaned thoroughly. I spot clean and kind of do a visual sweep everyday to look for signs that the tank needs a more thorough cleaning. I also stick my head in and smell the tanks regularly. With Cee Cee...her tank doesn't get very dirty in terms of feces and urates, but I can usually smell her enclosure getting a musk like smell every couple of weeks and then I know it needs a cleaning. My albinos like to do their business under the substrate a lot...so I have to sift around through it and check the bottom of the tank to know when it needs a proper cleaning. Seeley's tank can go a long time without a full cleaning...he doesn't make much of a mess at all. Spot cleans go a long way with him. Do make sure to check the water for changing frequently though...water will get slimy. I check water dishes every couple of days.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe