Thread: Hello

Smile Hello

After looking at threads for awhile as a guest, I thought it was best to register and also introduce myself. Some people of Dutch speaking fora might know me ;-) .

I'm Hans, from belgium. I keep reptiles now for 7 years (not that long, I know :-p ) and I bought my first garter 3 years ago. Since then only 2 species of snakes have my interest: Lampropeltis (only a small amount of subspecies) and thamnophis. I currently have:

1.1.0 Lampropeltis alternata blairi
    0.1.0 Thamnophis cyrtopsis cyrtopsis
    (I had a male and 1 clutch, sadly the male passed away recently and the clutch is sold)
    0.1.0 Thamnophis marcianus marcianus
    0.1.0 Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus

Some pics:

The cyropsis has a big neck. For those that were wondering, it's not a defense mechanism. She has it since she was little. I've asked around during that period (also the vet), but nobody could give me a reason. She does not seem to be burdened by it. If somebody has any idea why she might have that neck, he can always let me know.

I can't show you pics of the concinnus. It's my latest addition to the collection and I don't have a camera myself...

Re: Hello

Welcome aboard!

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

Hi Snaky,

it's good to see you on this forum as well
    With people from all over the world it's very interresting to see how everybody keeps his garters.

Best wishes, Sabine

Welcome to the forum, Hans. I hope you'll enjoy the variety here and will share your experiences with garters. Best wishes,
    Rick

P.S. At first I thought your snake may have been over fed, but after looking at the other pictures, it looks like your snake just has a big neck because of individual genetic differences... like some people are bigger than others.

Thanks for the welcome all.

It could well be something genetic, then maybe the offspring may develop the same neck? Gijs & Sabine will be able to answer this in a few months. It 's still a strange view, but none the less it's a beautifull snake.
    Last edited by Snaky; 12-06-2006 at 11:50 AM. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes, my english is not so great...

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Hello

Hey Snaky-Hans, welcome here.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Welcome to the forum, I am glad you found us.

Jason

Genetic mutations only get passed on to the next generation if the mutation happens in the germ cells (sperm or egg). If a mutation occurs during development, or as a result of altered developmental timing, then the effect only occurs in one individual. In this way, not all genetic or developmental patterns are heritable.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Genetic mutations only get passed on to the next generation if the mutation happens in the germ cells (sperm or egg). If a mutation occurs during development, or as a result of altered developmental timing, then the effect only occurs in one individual. In this way, not all genetic or developmental patterns are heritable.
    Rick
    Nice to know.

Thanks again for all the welcomes