Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "First shed, A Success"

Re: Diadophis punctatus

Hey Nate,
    If you are interested in keeping ringneck snakes at all I'd suggest you go with southern ringneck snakes, I've kept 6 of the 12 U.S. sub-species of ringneck (though I don't think they consider there to be sub-species anymore?). Out of those 6 the southern ringneck snake was the easiest kept, a 10 gallon tank, a substrate of eco earth/moss/mulch, a clear water bowl that's big enough for a couple snakes to be in at the same time, and a bunch of hiding spots (flat rocks, pieces of bark), and the snakes will do more than fine. A good idea for a hidespot is a 6"X6"X3" rubbermaid/gladware container (the disposable plastic ones from wal mart, etc.), with a little bit of the substrate and also moistened moss, keep the lid on but cut out a circle in the middle for a entrance point... And bury the container into the substrate so the snake feels like it's going underground to hide. (Ringnecks need to feel very secure and at home to feed in captivity) One downfall to ringnecks is they tend to dry up quickly, but this container will prevent that, the snakes may hide outside of the container but if it gets too dry for them they'll end up there.

Southern ringnecks have the most variable diet out of any ringnecks I ever had, one group (3-5 adults) I had in a 10 gallon tank with the setup I described above thrived for years and eggs were laid several times. But out of this group on any given day of the week they would eat earthworms, tree frogs, salamanders, small snakes, anoles, skinks, even live day old pinkies were taken, it was also keeping this group that I saw how often southern ringnecks swim to try and catch fish. A water bowl filled with guppies would often times lead to the whole group swimming around in the bowl trying to catch the guppies, just like garter snakes.

Southerns are also one of the smallest "sub-species" there's a couple populations were adults will be full grown at 8"-9", I'd say on average they're about 11", and I've had a couple over the years that were near 15". Ringnecks in general can live long, and can thrive in captivity for as long as you can meet their never-ending needs. I had one 22" regal ringneck snake for 3 years, and I know of a guy in AZ who caught an adult regal 20 years ago and still has it, so that snake has to be at least 25 years old. Regardless of their size their musk is pretty bad, and they aren't really a snake you can hold, though they may tolerate it a little. I've never seen a ringneck bite a person, but in my group setting of southern ringnecks one snake bit another snake on the neck, and the snake that was bit on the neck died later that night. Not sure if southerns have venomous saliva like the regals or if the bite just punctured the snake's windpipe and caused it's death? Who knows. But ringnecks are in no way dangerous to people.

They're a cool snake if kept right. And despite being nocturnal they may still cruise through the enclosure at any time of day, whether or not they'll run and hide when they see you is a different story and depends mainly on the specimen...
    I currently don't have any ringnecks, but would keep them again if I could get my hands on another albino or some regals.
    - Mike
    www.albinomilksnake.com
    Have twitter? Follow me @milksnakeMike

Banned

Not exactly a beginners snake. They can be problematic. Diet and microclimate needs can be very difficult to meet in captivity. Overall, I would say, generally speaking, they don't make good captives. I've kept the san diego subspecies successfully (although it wasn't easy or very rewarding) and completely failed with others.

Like I say, generally speaking, they don't make very good captives and even if you do manage to keep them alive, you won't see them much unless you are constantly disturbing them. Care must be given to not let these guys "chew" on you. (they are rear fanged "warm" venomous herps) There are much better choices out there. They're cool and everything, but difficult to keep alive and not very rewarding when you do manage it.

You won't find them in pet stores, you won't find breeders selling them, you won't find them in the captive trade. There's good reasons for that.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Thanks for the description of your moist hide- my butler enclosure is starting to resemble this set up as I provide more of the spaces they utilize the most

Banned

When I kept San Diego ringnecks, I found that this is one critical thing when it comes to keeping them alive. I had to mist under pieces of bark and other hides, several times a day. That was critical to keeping them successfully. In fact, that's the only time of year you'll find them while herping. During the rainy season, under boards and tin where there's moisture and plenty of slender salamanders to eat. In the case of the san diego ringneck, that's all they would eat. Slender salamanders and their eggs (they lay eggs on land)

True, you can't lump all ringnecks together. I'm sure some are more difficult to keep than others, but none are all that easy, and there's a big difference between managing to keep them alive, and having them thrive. For the most part, if you just manage to keep them alive long term, you've accomplished something.

"Third shed, A Success" aquamentus_11's Avatar

That was a lot of good info, Mike. I've used your site as reference many many times, but never felt truly capable to attempt their care. I'm currently out of the snake biz for an undetermined length of time while I focus on school. I may try to keep them in a decade or so
    Nate

1.0 Battlecat- Ted

Hi Nate. It's good to hear from you. Was getting worried there. Glad you are alive and well. Drop a PM if you get the chance.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe