Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed" nekura's Avatar

Re: Seizures in Eastern Ribbon

Thank you. I thought maybe I had done something horribly wrong. She's still alive, but it still having seizures but in her new compartment can't hurt herself as badly from the thrashing... She won't eat. Last night I was really worried and it still seems like she keeps losing consciousness after the seizures.

I noticed her acting strange a few weeks ago. Not seizing, just when handling and placing her into the tub for a short swim while I cleaned caged she would swim upside down and stay like that then appear to seize but I thought that was just her freaking out about my presence. When not seizure she will something slither on her back, or lift her head and just have it fall backwards.

With this last info. I must say it sounds like a very serious situation.
    I think only time will tell where this situation is going. Not sure a Vet. would be able to do anything.
    Please keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

If it's any consolation, I did have one snake that once had a seizure and recovered and has been fine ever since. it's my male red-striped ribbon. I believe the seizure was due to a bad batch of fish though... because two other babies at the time that ate the stuff mysteriously turned up dead shortly after.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

It doesn't sound good, and I would agree with Steve that it's unlikely a vet will be able to do a lot to help. Shannon's comments give a positive that a seizure isn't always terminal. I hope this one pulls through for you.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Is it possible for you to try feeding her something other than the silversides if she does decide to eat? Just in case that has anything at all to do with it? It's likely it doesn't, but just to rule it out.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I wouldn't try feeding at all until the seizures stop. If it's food related then drinking and flushing the system will be best bet, introducing more food may just complicate things.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

She died this afternoon and I buried her not far from where I found her and her siblings. I know she has at least 2 siblings out in the wild somewhere (had to save them from the dog too).

She wouldn't eat anything but fish. I tried regular earthworms (not red wrigglers) and she took no interest. Her favorite was live mosquito fish, but the winter killed them off and the ones I had been trying to breed couldn't really keep up with her appetite. I fed her salmon steaks for a little while, but it was hard to go her to eat that, so I saw someone mention silver sides and started giving her those which she ate pretty well.

I'm not sure. Her sister died too, but I didn't see her seize. At the time Scylla mostly stole all the food from the sister so I had to make sure to separate them. Then one morning the sister was just dead after refusing to eat for a few days. Scylla remained healthy and grew fairly large, but still under a year old. Then its like she started to slowly lose control of her motor functions.

I am now snake-less. I don't thing I would want another ribbon due to their flighty personality which I fear may have attributed some part in her death via stress, but I'd certainly want another water snake. I just can't find and local breeders around me and the pet stores only have corn and pythons. I can't really deal with feeding them pinkies since I'm also a rodent lover, so a fish consumer would be preferred.. but garters also eat worms, which I'm also fine with feeding. I do have calcium supplements left over.

One good thing did come out of this though.. my mom has ALWAYS hated snakes.. she's terrified of them and often has nightmares involving them. At first she couldn't even stand looking at Scylla even thought she was such an adorable baby, but, since we've had her, my mom slowly started warming up to her and even bought her presents like new hides. She even fed her for me.

Now maybe she'll think twice before shooting them on sight.. and yes she kills ribbons/garters on sight if they're in the yard. I hope the experience has given her some insight on the animal and not what the horror movies show. When I told her about the seizures and unconsciousness she showed genuine sympathy about her and said that all animals go to heaven, even snakes.

Sorry to hear she passed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I'm so sorry to hear she passed away. But it does look like you found the bright side in looking at the positive changes in your mom's attitude toward snakes. That is quite the turnaround. I do believe that she is in a better place now...a place where there is no suffering, so she is at peace. Rest in peace little girl...

Many snakes that eat rodents can eat frozen/thawed rodents...so that you do not have to feed live ones. There are breeders that are looking for homes for garters if you look in the "for sale/trade/adoption" forum on here. If you have a garter, the best diet for the snake would be a varied diet of mice, fish, and worms. But you do not feed live rodents to garters...only frozen/thawed pinkies. I understand how you feel...I had pet rats for years. It isn't so bad feeding the frozen pinkies.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Ripping them apart for baby garters would make me feel awfully bad though.