Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    "First shed, A Success"

Re: Weird hiding spots !

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Just a word of caution...you may want to consider getting a lighter water bowl for her if she does that. A lot of garters do that actually...and it can be pretty dangerous if the bowl shifts and crushes them. I make sure to buy water dishes that are light for that very reason and make sure that they sit against the glass of the bottom of the tank with no substrate underneath so that my snakes cannot get underneath them. Just a bit of friendly advice!
    I will consider that. I just find it curious still that she will force her way under it (I do tend to make sure there isn't substrate under the bowl at least).
    The bowl is often completely full when she decides to be under it.. I wonder if part of her enjoys the feeling of the pressure over her :P If the bowl is low or empty she doesn't do it. I am Thinking it will be less of a problem soon if I can finish getting her new enclosure planned out. It will be using her current enclosure completely as a water source for her to play in.

That will be very cool. I know what you are talking about because my snakes used to do the same thing when I first found them. They actually stopped doing it when I put the water dishes flush to the glass in the tank with no substrate underneath. Maybe she does like the pressure and the feeling of the cool glass. Perhaps you could try putting a hide that is not as heavy against the glass, with no substrate under it, and see if she would go under that instead. If it's the pressure she likes, it may not work though.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

My Butlers like to burrow into a plastic hide filled with very wet spagnum moss. I think contact as well as moisture play a part in this favored hide, and I think the acidity of the moss is good for their skin and scales. (Spagnum mosses acidity inhibits bacterial growth, but I change the moss regularly.)

That is actually good to know about the moss...I did not know that it had antibacterial properties. I was using it to increase the humidity in my enclosures, and my snakes seemed to enjoy burrowing in it as well...but I took it out of the enclosures because I was concerned about bacteria and mold growth.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I lifted the food dish the other day only to find my Dekayi all wrapped up underneath it! Sorry to have disturbed her but it was dinner time!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."