"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Arduino temp monitor/control

I've been contemplating the principle of using an Arduino board (Pinjohn, just stop read here ) , some temp diodes, and relays to make up a viv control unit. Before I throw myself at this (and it may have to wait until I have more time at the end of the hockey season) has anyone else already done/contemplated/given-up this?

The principles are pretty exciting and I think it would be cost effective in a multi-vivarium environment. The stats I us vary in price from £25 to £45 and each digital thermometer costs between £5 and £10, and timer plugs at around £10... so about £45 on control stuff for a viv. I reckon that an Arduino board and a few more components could control 4 vivs easily, and possibly 8 vivs - that's heating mat controlled, temp displayed and logged, and lighting on programmed timer. As an IT geek I'd also get the benefit of having full control over the functions. And I think I could build a 4 vivs system for about the same cost as the Lucky Reptile Thermocontrol II PRO that I use on just one of our vivs.

So, has anyone else looked at Arduino?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Re: Arduino temp monitor/control

I'll have the 8 viv model, please. But, I want the heating mats controlled AND on a timer.

Contemplated, yes.

I'm getting more interested. Controlled with multifunction touchscreen display.
    Timing is essential, I want it controlling lights and heat on a preset timer. I've been reading up for a couple of hours and I think the time it will take to put the hardware together and programme it is going to push this little project back to the summer when I don't have a hockey (field hockey, not ice) team to captain each week.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I have no idea what you guys are talking about and wow you are up early. Can you explain a little to the tech stupid please.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Arduino is a cheap, open hardware platform with a programmable processor and lots of input and output pins.

In short, it's a platform where in principle I could wire up 8 temperature sensors (the thermistors cost peanuts, around £3 each) to the inputs, wire up a screen to display the temperatures with the processor programmed to cycle through four vivs. At the same time the processor checks each temp against a preset level,checks the time to see if it's day or night, and decides whether the heatmat should be on or off. Meanwhile, each time the temps are checked (say every 5 minutes) they are written to a file that we can plot a graph against later (possibly even on the screen we're already using).
    It would also be relatively easy to get the monitor to send updates to a PC which could fire off emails to notify me if there are any problems with temps. And I could have a website that allows me to check on everything from my phone.
    The other outputs could be used to control LED lights on a timer.

So I'd essentially end up with a system similar to the Lucky Reptile Thermocontrol II PRO unit we have on the girls' viv, but it would control 4 (or maybe 8) vivs instead of one viv. When a Thermocontrol II costs £45-60 each, and the electronics for this would be maybe £150, with 4 vivs there's a saving, with 8 vivs it's significant. And so, so much cooler.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    ... and wow you are up early...
    Not really, considering where we live. I posted 10:13am. That's a lie in.
    Chris