Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Prairie Ring-Necked Snakes

They are very pretty.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Hey, wasn't there a guy on here who used to raise ringnecks? I think he's the one who ended up with that white-sided water snake.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Yup. Cant remember his name

"First shed, A Success"

What's up everyone?

Ringneck snakes can be difficult to keep or they can be easy to keep... They vary in difficulty between sub-species. Prairie ringneck snakes are mainly worm eaters, I assume they could also eat small snakes as well but the prairie ringneck is one of the smaller sub-species, I had a group of Striped ones a couple years ago and the adults were full grown at about 11". Very small. Prairies will thrive on worms, when caging them you'll need to keep the enclosure dry but provide a area of moisture that they can easily access so they don't dry up. I would also use this moist area as the place to introduce the worms... Eventually the snakes will be accustomed to finding food in that area and feeding will become much easier.

Some ringneck snakes are active, some will hide constantly... They may be nocturnal but even nocturnal snakes could be crawling around in the day time or while the lights are on. A basking light isn't needed and could end up killing the snakes, they would do fine at room temperature. You want the most escape proof cage you can find for sale, even then though the snakes could find their way out. I had an albino ringneck get out of a 10 gallon with a slide in lid... It's been 2 years and I still don't understand how. If you have any other questions let me know.
    - Mike
    www.albinomilksnake.com
    Have twitter? Follow me @milksnakeMike