Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Self maintaining tanks???

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Right now, I feel like if I ever go large scale, it will have to be with a small arboreal species of reptile. Small size to keep down the volume of feces and arboreal to keep the animal well clear of the substrate. I can imagine it working perfectly well with something like climbing species of gecko or anoles. If I were to use it for snakes, I'd make sure the enclosure would be far larger than the minimum recommended for the species.

It worked great for the short time I used it, but having had time to think about it, I have no doubt that without a proper fauna of decomposers, I would have run into trouble sooner or later.
    I was thinking the same things ^^^ Didn't want to sound discouraging so I didn't say anything but I just wouldn't try it. If it doesn't work out like it should, the health of your animal is at stake. I'd rather not take that gamble. Seems too high a risk for skin and respiratory infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Yes, you can get it here: The Art Of Keeping Snakes (9781882770632) - Philippe De Vosjoli - Kirjat - BOOKPLUS.FI

I get practically all my books from there.
    Thanks :) I might buy it, since it's only about 15 euros.. But probably not before my entrance exams are over... I have way too much to read now anyway, when I think about it...

It's definitely worth the price.

I agree that the idea of bio vivs for snakes make me too nervous to risk it, but I have been experimenting with bio tanks for guppies (the beautiful garter food) with many inches of sand, I add MicrobeLift, a bacteria combo that makes the water smell a tad sulfurish, but breaks down the wastes to the point that the plants can clear the water to a pristine point. I have both fast (I tream them often) and slow growing plants (ferns), plus that little green pond mini plant that floats & covers much of the water surface, providing some shade from the lamps. My grownd water clover & moss are just beginning to show here and there. Water changes are now about monthly (I started the tanks in 2009, when I got my first blue radix) and soon will be not even be every month. Yes, I know, I need pictures.
    I'm getting there, I will post a flood of Picts this weekend, if I can scape my field of time traps.
    Ric

Ric
    T. radix ~ L. t. hondurensis ~ P. reticulata ~ F. catus ~ C. l. familiaris
    ricmartn@gmail.com

Banned

Yes, but this sort of thing has been done with aquariums, and proven to work safely for decades. That's the entire idea of an under gravel filter. Sucking the water through a layer of sand and/or gravel at the bottom acts as a bio filter. Heck, I've even seen a sewage treatment plant that is completely biological. Sewage goes in one end and pristine, drinkable water comes out the other end. My point is, I wouldn't hesitate to use these methods in a fish tank because there are ways to monitor (test) the water, and the fact that people have been doing this forever. And really, if something goes wrong, what do you lose? a few inexpensive and replaceable fish.

If you're doing this with garter snake tanks how would you even know if it was unhealthy unless your snakes started getting sick? There's no water turning cloudy and you don't have all the testing kits that aquariums have to spot water problems before they become fatal.