Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Unexpected sad news

That's good, hopefully they'll all be fine
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I hope everything turns ot well for her and the rest.
    Sorry mice are so expensive in your area- hearing what you have to go through makes me feel especially blessed that I have at least three reptile vendors/ pet stores in my area that sell pinkies for a dollar or less.

I'm still considering making a trip down to the Taylor MI reptile show to pick up a bag of 100 for $40. As for you, shipping makes ordering them through the mail cost prohibitive.

Have you considered taking up fishing to feed your snakes? It's a viable option here in Michigan where you can hardly toss a stick without hitting a river, pond or lake, but I know its a lot harder in many areas.

Banned

The problem is, there are no pet stores here anymore that aren't national chains. They don't raise mice. And now, the only privately owned single-store pet store I had, that did raise mice, is no longer a pet store and no longer raising mice.

If I want to travel about 45 minutes north of my house I can still get them for a dollar or less but they rarely have enough on hand so that I could just make the trip once a month.

I don't have time or resources to take care of my own yard like I used to. I don't really have time to even watch a movie but once or twice a month and you want me to go fishing? The license, gas, tackle, time, etc. alone is worth more than the fish I could possibly catch. Not going to happen.

So, for now it's $5 and something for 3 fuzzies, or $2 a pinky at petco. That's all I can do. For about $7 I can buy enough WC local or farmed salmon or even farmed trout at the local grocery store, to feed my snakes for a month.

I really don't think it's the fish. This snake has something wrong with it but I have no reason to suspect the fish.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Yeah, like a said, a lot harder in many areas, and not for everybody, but I thought I'd toss it out there- I certainly never meant to imply it was somehow something you should be doing- just that for some it might be a (possibly enjoyable) option. My apologies.

Banned

No need to apologize. Like you said, just offering ideas. I've pretty much exhausted the ideas myself and am already doing what is feasable and affordable and feeding them what I believe to be a healthy and varied diet.

The all-rodent diet is out. It's too expensive and even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to do that. Supermarket fish is going have to remain a staple. Like I said, I have no reason to believe it's causing any problems. I buy it very fresh and freeze it immediately, thawing only as needed.

For now I pay the high prices for the rodents, for the sake of nutrition and varied diet, when money isn't so tight. I'm usually able to feed them rodents at least twice a month in addition to their fish and night crawlers. On the rare occasion when I have time to go out herping, and I happen to catch a frog or two, or a salamander, I freeze that and feed them those too.

I constantly keep my eyes open both outside and in the markets, for something else I can feed them and take opportunity when I can.

Banned

Well guys I quit feeding the coho salmon to my snakes. Apparently it's not safe for an adult male human to eat more than 12oz in a month. PCB's and mercury. The tilapia is still safe and I'll continue to feed them that occasionally.

As to the snake with the convulsions I have been feeding her mostly fuzzies and a few f/t silversides and her symptoms have completely subsided. She seems fine.