Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: anytime girls!!!

albino X albino doesn't always produce albinos..look at my pic of the babies from my albino nebraska...the albino genes have to be on the same allele to produce albinos...both Iowa and Nobraska albino genes are on different alleles so they produce hets for both. here's the pic of the nebraska albino X Iowa christmas albino babies....

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

wow heavy thread,
    can anyone with definate knowledge post a thread on what bred with what to get what>????
    ie:
    Albino X normal = het albino
    Albino X het Albino = 50% albino and 50 % normal

how do you get snow?
    Lucistic?
    aneristic?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHedgehog View Post
    wow heavy thread,
    can anyone with definate knowledge post a thread on what bred with what to get what>????
    ie:
    Albino X normal = het albino
    Albino X het Albino = 50% albino and 50 % normal

how do you get snow?
    Lucistic?
    aneristic?
    Leucistic and anerythristic are both separate mutations from each other and from albino. Look up Punnett squares if you don't know what they are already. If you know what traits are recessive, dominant, co-dominant etc. (Are there any others?) then you can find out the likeliness of having certain things and what percent probable it is for something to be het.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

"Second shed, A Success" salzar's Avatar

quote fromssssnakeluvr

albino X albino doesn't always produce albinos..look at my pic of the babies from my albino nebraska...the albino genes have to be on the same allele to produce albinos...both Iowa and Nobraska albino genes are on different alleles so they produce hets for both. here's the pic of the nebraska albino X Iowa christmas albino babies....

they are hybrid, the wave lenth of the darker back groung coloring will almost always over power the one void of color. its the law...
    this is a color thing not a breed thing albinoism accurc in all forms of life , its a lack of pigment not a breed carictoristic..
    bye
    michelle

Hi, I'm New Here! cornsnakesalive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by otis lee View Post
    both parents where WC from the same ky horse barn . i was just hoping the normal male was het.scotts albinos are not compatible,but are true albinos just diff.lines .its like the hypo/ghost morph in ball pythons.
    I was drawn away from the significant of this birth, due to the incompatibly of the other breeding. Finding a wild caught from a horse barn in Kentucky, is very significant, but now you have offspring from her, and hopefully, you can recover the gene in the next generation.

We have had a few wild caught females Corns that have been caught and it is much harder to recover the gene, than if she was a he. Many people will breed a wild caught to another mutant gene, to get a start on a double homo morph, but I really like that you used a wild caught male from the same location. If your Amel proves to be reproducible, you will have established a line of Amels from a very specific local. Did you catch the female, or do you know who did? Have you considered what you are going to call you line if it is reproducible? Kentucky Albino, or the county and state, or perhaps Otis Albino. I know it is really too early, but it is something to think about.

In the Corn Snake World, we have a few very knowledgeable people who have written books about the genetics of Corns, but he also wrote one for the genetics of reptiles, called Genetics for Herpers. I would highly recommend the book to everybody who wants to learn genetics the right way. Check out this site: http://cornguide.com/

As will all new genes, the first thing that needs to be done is to reproduce the mutant gene, which Otis is well on his way to accomplish. The second thing to prove is if the gene that is causing this Albino Eastern is the same as the original Amel gene or if it is a new gene located at a different location genetically. The correct term for this type of mutation is amelanistic, or amel for short. Considering the exact local of this Amel Eastern, it doesn’t really matter if it is compatible with any of the other Amel Easterns, but this is information that is very important for future breeding efforts.

From Scott’s site, he list these five Amel Easterns (SCHUETT STRAIN, FLORIDA ALBINO, CARAMEL ALBINO, CLASSIC ALBINO, Kenton County, KY Albino Eastern). Is the Kenton Co., KY Albino referring to this one or is it another? There isn’t only one TRUE Amel Eastern, they all are, except for perhaps the CARAMEL. They are all Amels, but where are the genes that caused them located on the chromosome tree? If they are all located at different locations, then they are all independent genes, that can only be reproduced if both parents carry the same gene, either as het of homo.
    Usually the first one discovered is called the “Albino” Eastern, or in this case perhaps the Classic Albino, and any new Amel Easterns that are discovered are either compatible with the Classic Albino, and have different local info, or they are a new gene themselves. As they get tested, they will be given new names to keep track of them and usually a letter is assigned to them to help for example, we have these proven hypo gene in Corns. Hypo (The original) Type A, Sunkissed, Type B, Lava, Type C, Ultra, Type D, Christmas, Type E, and Dilute, Type D. They are all hypomelanistic, but all very different genes. This is important information to pass down with each line, because if the different Amel Easterns are different genes, then it is possible to breed a Amel Classic X Schuett and produce NORMALS het for Albino and Schuett, which would not usually be the goal of most breeders. Normally, it doesn’t make since to mix two different genes that cause Amels, especially if they are of the same phenotype. It would be nearly impossible to tell which is which in the next generation, and even litter mates Amel, could be incompatible due to misidentification.

To test out each line, you have to mix the different Amel genes together, but the information gained is well worth the mixing in one litter. The knowledge gained, will help to prevent Amel X Amel breeding in the future that produce Normals, or worse, Snow X Snow breedings that produce Anery double hets. It is even possible to breed Snow X Snow and produce Normals if the Amel genes are incompatible as well as the Anery genes, which there are also several of.

There are a couple “Albino” Garters, that look to me to be extreme hypos such as the Caramels for example. They could be alleles with one of the Amels, but generally they are not. Believe it or not, genetics can become even more confusing when genes are discovered that are alleles, but different phenotypes. We have proven out two pairs of genes like these in Corns. They are different genes but when combined, they produce a mutant phenotype. In Corns, Amel and Ultra are alleles. One is an amel and the other a hypo. When combined, they are co-dominant and produce an in-between phenotype. Our Striped and Motley genes are also alleles, but in this case Motley is dominant over Striped a Motley phenotype is produced.

It may be time to start some testing with the different Amel Easterns, so we can learn if some of them are caused by the same gene, even though they are from different locals, or if they are actually a newly discovered gene. New genes are very significant, where as a Wild Caught from a different local that is caused by one of the previously discovered amel genes, is still significant because it removes any hybrid questions, but they may not actually be a new gene, but one of the previously discovered Amels.
    Joe Pierce
    Corn Snakes Alive!

Hi, I'm New Here! cornsnakesalive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salzar View Post
    hey guys we need to concider mendelism.
    first we have to establish that both snakes we in fact albinos, and not just hybrid, if the parents had just a wisp of color in there genes then a hybrid would result,
    secontly albino to albino will not always produce an albino.
    thirdly a TRUE ALBINO WILL ALWAYS HAVE PINKskin and eyes , if the eyes are not pink but are hazel or a grey golor it is a dilute , or a hybrid dilute. there are some horses that when bred to a overo colored horse and the mare is also a overo with the same resessive gene, then the resulting foal will be BORN DEAD. do not mix colors of snakes with this resessive gene it me have the same bad results.
    I will try to find out more info on mendemism
    hope this helps. beautiful snake!!!!
    I do not completely agree with most of this statement. Hybrids are the mixing of different subspecies, such as an Amel Eastern X San Francisco. I think most people would definitely consider this a hybrid breeding. The next generation from this type of breeding, would produce an Amel that is homo for “Amel Eastern“, and some of them would be more SF like. These offspring could be bred back to a SF, and eventually an Amel SF could be produced, but they would by hybrids between the Easterns and SF. This is what I was talking about, that Basement Breeders have been doing with all species of snakes for 30 years.

If we breed an Amel Red Sided X Anery Red Sided, then we will eventually be able to produce Snow Red Sides, that are not hybrids. The same is true if we breed an Amel Eastern or any other local of Amel, X Hypo from the same subspecies. Some of the so called Amels such as the Nebraskas, have a “wisp” of color” when compare to the Iowas, but since they are from the same subspecies a breeding between the two that produces NORMALS is not a hybrid breeding, just a breeding between two incompatible genes. The fact that they come from different states means nothing because the are from the same subspecies. Their names will keep them separate now that they have proven to be incapable.

If you have been to a Snake show, you know how many different types of people are interested in keeping snakes. Some do not have any problem creating a new “Amel” the hybrid way, and sell them as pure stock, because pure is better right? and Hybrids are dirty nasty creatures that aren’t worth a dime, NOT! It is very unfortunate that this way of thinking is prevalent which is the cause of most basement type breedings instead of Hybrid info being passed on. This info may never be discovered and gets lost in time. There seems to be a lot more Amels subspecies of Garters than you would expect, so are some of them actually Amel Checkered hybrids? I bet some of them are, but then others such as Otis’s, wild caught Amel are most likely new genes and not hybrids. Considering the micro climates that some locals of Garters live in, it is very possible that may of the different locals of Amels are in fact different genes and not created by hybridization. It all comes down to indisputable statements of fact. Otis statements are sound and nobody disputes them, but how sound are statements we see that state a line comes from “Wild Caught Stock”, with no specifies that happened 20 year ago? Where are the new Amels from in-breeding in captivity? There definitely should have been some genes discovered this way, but they are all listed as coming from wild caught stock.

The hybrid debate is always split, just like Dems and Reps. Is there anything wrong with creating new morphs by hybridization? I personally do not think so, as long as this info is passed on. For some reason, hybrids are considered superior to pure strains in most other breeding programs, but in the Snake World, hybrid is a dirty word. I mean, come on, wouldn’t it be cool if there were Amel SF or Amel Puget Sounds? To some, this is treason, but most purest rarely only breed local specific subspecies of the NORMAL phase. Almost all purest want their cake and eat it too. They love the mutant genes, but also want pure Garters. This is very possible with some lines, but in time, this becomes less and less important, and not likely to be the case.

I can see both sides of the issue. If you want Pure Garters that are also a mutant, then here is one right here with very specific local data. If you want Snow Red Sideds, then you can make them, but what about Easterns that are from Florida compared to the ones from Canada. Even though they are the same subspecies, is this what the purest really are wanting? I would think a purest would be more local specific, than this.

There are certainly “FATAL” genes that have been discovered in other animals like the Overo example. I bred donkeys too, and spot to spot breedings are fatal if double homos are produced, exactly like the Overos. Since the Spot gene is dominant, it only takes one copy to produce a Spotted Donkey, so het Spots are what we see. In Corns we have identified a recessive gene that causes Star Gazing. If you bred two hets together, 1 in 4 will have this fatal condition.

The mixing of recessive genes in snakes has not resulted in producing offspring with fatal conditions, except for a few rare circumstances. My main interest breeding snakes is trying to produce a new mutant gene by combining different genes, such as Amel and Anery will make Snows. This has been done for many years, with almost all different species of snakes and very few fatal genes have been discovered. The mixing of genes is not the cause of fatal genes, but this is how they get discovered, just like Amels. If there are no fatal recessive genes in a line, then they can not be matched up from thin air by in-breeding. They either exist in a line, or they do not.

Eye color is certainly a good indication of different genes. Most hypos have normal eyes, but the more extreme ones can have ruby eyes that can be mistaken for Amels. When you start stacking genes, such as Caramel Garter X Anery Garter, it can effect the eye color as well in double homo Garters. Dilutes are similar to Hypos, but not interchangeable. Hypos usually only reduce the melanin in Snakes, but Dilutes can have an effect on all of the colors. Dilutes are more like mixing white paint with other colors. Dilutes reduce the shade of all of the colors and change black to a bluish color, while most hypos just reduce the intensity of black coloration.

Hybrids are the mixing of different subspecies not the mixing of incapable genes from the same subspecies. From Scott’s site, there are seven potentially different mutant genes listed as Easterns plus the five Amels. Any of them can be combine to produce pure Easterns. Problems can occur if we start calling different combos by the same name. For example, Scott has Snow Easterns listed, that are from an Amel X Mel breeding. This is not the traditional genes that are called “Snows” in all other species of snakes. Snows are generally a combo of Amel and Anery. What will happen when an Anery Eastern is discovered and a true Snow Eastern is produced? A Snow Eastern (Amel Mel) bred to a potential “Snow” Eastern (Amel Anery) would not result in Snow offspring but Amels het Anery and Mel.
    Joe Pierce
    Corn Snakes Alive!

"Second shed, A Success" salzar's Avatar

wow heavy thread is right, man oh man this is fun ..
    heee
    bye
    michelle