Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Most basic enclosure

im the oppostite of this thread, why go basic when you could go EXTREME !!!!!!!! hope it goes well
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mtolypetsupply View Post
    My most basic set ups are the tubs. While cheap, and secure, I do NOT like them for garters at ALL. I much prefer tanks with lids. Due to space constraints, and energy efficiency, the tubs do work out, with a little extra caution.

Garters are a much more, um, *energetic* snake than many others, and I have had them try to leap out of the tub as soon as I crack open the lids, many times.

If you are going to use tubs, I suggest:

1. ONLY ONE snake per tub, no matter how big. That way, if you have one hand on the lid, you have one hand to catch the resident.

2. Use ONLY ONE hide. You don't want to be looking in multiple hides and have your snake get loose leaping out of the hide you *weren't* looking in.

3. Use newspaper as a substrate. Loose thick substrate is fun for them, but again, while you're digging through it on one end, they can slither under and leap out the other side.

4. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH MAKING HOLES when you have juvies or babies. It's much better to have a zillion small holes that they couldn't possibly fit through, than having one get stuck, or escape through larger holes.

If I had unlimited room, I'd have enclosures for all of them that not only provide floor space, but climbing space and a pool area. They seem to LOVE to climb, burrow, swim, guess they're truly the athletes of the snake world!

If you don't have to worry about space, the larger the enclosure, the better, in my opinion. Give them plenty of space and "furniture" in which to hide or on which to climb. Also, enough room in the "pool" to soak and "swim" (ok, wiggling in place isn't exactly swimming, but it's better than a small drinking only bowl).

All good points. I do have some experience with raising concinnus litters so I think I'll manage. There are many pitfalls that you can have with tiny babies that you wouldn't have with adults. One of them being that when they get wet they can and do scale vertical walls. Also, when they are just born and still not the strongest, they can drown in their water dish. I keep it very shallow such as a cottage cheese lid, and line it with pebbles. I do not use newspaper however. I'll be using fine aspen shavings. Babies get stuck between layers of newspaper. The aspen is easier to keep an area moist and an area dry too.

Never shed

I ended up duct taping the lids shut all the way around after I had a number of garter brats figure out they could push up a corner of a lid enough to slip out. Babies especially can go through some really small spaces.

With plastic containers, I drill holes in the top and sides with a fine enough size drill bit that baby garters cannot squeeze through them. If the substrate in a plastic container is damp in more than just the area around a water container, or if the sides become fogged up, that's a sure sign that there's not enough air circulation getting through it, and more air holes need to be added.

Banned

Don't use duct tape anywhere near a garter enclosure, especially the way you did. Heat and time causes the tape to come loose and if the snakes come in contact with it, you'll never get them unstuck. I lost a garter that way, by taping the lid. Couldn't get the snake unstuck and I had to euthanize it. There are plenty of inexpensive plastic containers you could use that are escape proof, you only need to add screened holes for air.

As far as air goes, you're better off with large holes with a fine screen placed over them. A method for doing that is somewhere here in the forum, if anyone knows where it is, please show us. You're right, the containers shouldn't be fogging up.

Don't use duct tape under any circumstances, especially to close gaps that the snakes know about. They will get stuck on the tape! I know you think they can't but when it happens you'll be sorry.

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

I've had garters get stuck to things, and yes, avoid anything sticky, if at all possible. One of my enclosures had a broken flower pot as a hide, and apparently it had had a sticker on it. I had washed the pot dozens of times, and the spot where the label had been was never sticky. I don't know what happened, but one day I found a puget stuck where the residue was! I guess time, warmth, humidity etc. all conspired against the little one to make this little trap.

Fortunately, baby oil worked famously in separating the garter from the flower pot. Pour some on, let it soak, work around the edges, add more oil, let them soak, work around the edges, etc. It only took about 15 min to free him.

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Olive oil works fantastic as well for getting snakes "unstuck" from tape and those sticky pads used for catching pests. It has saved many a freedom seekers life in my buddy's reptile store.
    Chris