Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Built a BIG Rack!

Soooooo as we have all established I've just had a birthday! And a mighty good one it was too! For my birthday.... Eddie and I designed and built a large snake rack that hold 8 Iris CB-110 tubs (38" x 20" x 6") as well as 3 little tubs up top. This is for housing some of my not-garter stuff, Most of my garters live in caging. I've rearranged my entire snakeroom and broke down a shelf to bring it in, but it maximizes the space I have available. For as large and nice as it is, it cost surprisingly little. The only tools we needed were a screwgun, a grinder, and a soldering iron. The Home Depot cut the wood to our specifications. Eddie bought the lumber and the tubs for this project. The Iris tubs are a bit on the pricey side at $18 each, but they are really nice tubs, a good size, nice and clear, and are rather hard to find and a highly valued tub in the reptile world. If you used a tub that was similar but cheaper you could build this even cheaper! We hunted all over the freaking place and these were the best tub we found. I like these tubs especially because they have very small nubs on their bottom, which would allow you to slide a heating pad underneath the tub with ease.

When we built this rack we stacked the tubs as we went. Some of them were just a tad too tight. So I used a grinder to take a bit off the nubs on the bottoms of the tubs. It worked like a charm, now they slide in and out easily.

For ventilation.... I use a soldering iron to melt holes into the tubs. If you drill holes, you get sharp edges and cracked tubs. With a soldering iron, you get nice smooth holes... you just have to do it outside because of the smoke!

For the water bowls, I grabbed some standard plastic VanNess no-tip bowls for $1.20 each. These are the best for a rack because they can also double as a hide thanks to the holes for picking them up.

For the hides, I bought 8 plastic shoeboxes at the dollar store, turned them upsidedown, cut out an entrance out with my trusty soldering iron and the spray painted them black. making these hides took maybe 20 minutes tops, painting and all.

I am covered in spraypaint residue... sore from moving heavy things around in the snakeroom... but boy was it worth it!!!

So here's the damages:

8 Iris CB-110 Tubs..........$144
    Wood...........................$100
    Spraypaint....................$12
    8 VanNess Water Bowls...$10
    8 Plastic Shoeboxes........$8
    ---------------------------------
    Total...........................$274

And here is the result.... sorry, didn't take any pics of the building process. It's pretty straight-forward. Stack the tubs and shelves as you go... take a drill and screw it all together!

With one of my goofy brothers for size comparison:

And here it is, heave-ho'ed into the snakeroom, with substrate, hides, and bowls added. I didn't have time to put any of the snakes in tonight.

Here are the hides that cost me a whopping $1 each to make!

Also while we are here... here's another new rack... this one was a FREEBIE. Well, the shelf itself was. We got it in at work over a year ago a a shelf to display these handmade dog dish things. I called dibs as soon as I saw it... The shelves are short, and go back really far... perfect for shoving tubs into. I got lucky in that it holds the sterlite ultra's I picked out for it really well, they stick out a few inches, but I'd rather have these bigger tubs than stick small ones in it.

Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Re: Built a BIG Rack!

Nice work
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

very nice
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

oh yeah very nice rack!!good work!

Banned

I like big racks. *tee hee*

I could never put my snakes in a rack. It's hot there and people are getting killed.

Looks like it should work very well. Nice job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Nice I'm building one with 74 qt sterilite tubs that is 6 high i hope for it to look similar but we will see lol.Good job.

"Preparing For First shed" De Foezel's Avatar

is it just for hybernation(winters rest)
    or to keep the snakes in thier whole lives?

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I like big racks. *tee hee*

I could never put my snakes in a rack. It's hot there and people are getting killed.

LOLOL!!!!!

Nice rack, Shannon! I like the black melamine, gives it a nice sleek look. What residents have you chosen for it?

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtolypetsupply View Post
    LOLOL!!!!!

Nice rack, Shannon! I like the black melamine, gives it a nice sleek look. What residents have you chosen for it?
    Thanks! It's actually really nice plywood that I spraypainted black. In fact.... I spraypainted for so long that I couldn't hold down the nozzle with my finger anymore. I had to use my thumbs for the last bit, and yesterday and today, the tendons/muscles that control my hands in my wrist are so sore that I can't even turn a doorknob... hold a cup of coffee or write with a pen!!! I'm typing all slow... haha. I've never had this happen before.

So far, I have put Bandit and Trouser in it, those are my pair of california kings. I also am putting in my pair of whitesided black rat snakes... my female king rat snake, possibly my male albino too... and the rest I am not sure yet
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!