Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Female off food.

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Guppies,f/t trout,salmon,tilapia are all on the safe fish list. I do suggest you stay away from any "product of China" fish. I also use Bluegill. I have a friend who nets bluegill fry. I freeze them for a couple of months before I use them.
    Hey! I didn't know you did that? So did I! Just east of my location, in a warm, green, man-made (by damming a creek) lake it's pretty easy to net some bluegill about 1-3 inches long. Lot's of them. I even kept them alive in an aquarium some years back. My concinnus didn't seem to like them much. And then there's those spiny fins. Even if I cut them off, even if I fillet them, frozen, thawed, fresh, whatever, my snakes didn't like bluegill. They only ate it reluctantly. The concinnus are abundant around the same place I got the bluegill. Still, they didn't seem to like them. They would rather eat frogs, worms, and salamanders. And this is coming from concinnus that go nuts over just about any fish. Bluegill were the exception. They didn't like it. Too bony. Sharp fins and lots of pointy bones. In the same lake, in deeper cooler water with the smallest trout hooks I could catch very small trout, some small enough for my snakes to eat whole. They loved tiny trout.

That's the one fish (bluegill) that they didn't seem to like. I'm talking, they didn't even care for the smell of them and sometimes they would regurgitate even if I fed them just the meat. Dunno why. Snakes tastes vary I suppose.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-01-2010 at 05:40 AM.