Thread: Newborn help!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Question Newborn help!!

I captured a garter snake in my garden. By its tail i guessed that it was female. Apparently i was right because she gave birth today! I had now idea she was pregnant so im not prepared, plus she is my first garter snake. I removed three babies to another cage. Thats all i could see so far. Is this a normal number of babies? Also, i helped one remove their first skin. This one has a... Distended? Eye. Its larger than the other and his head looks lopsided from the top. Any idea whats wrong with it? And what should i feed the babies, how often, and when should i start? Should i keep them separate from mom? Any help will be much appreciated, got no idea what im doing

Re: Newborn help!!

I'll tell you what everyone has told me. My W/C snake gave birth yesterday to 11 babies. She is approximately 2' long. I gave each one a bath today to help with any babyshed that had to come off. I also put a baby goulash of salmon, pinkie parts and earthworms in there. I believe half of them ate or tried to eat tonight. The only thing they ate though was the earthwoms, which had to be cut up into very tiny pieces. One wasn't quite small enough & came back up. Good luck!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Re: Newborn help!!

Nice to have you here on the forum.

The babies will shed very soon after being born. I give my newborns a warm bath and help them shed. 12 hours later I start feeding attempts. The best luck I've had is with a small shallow dish filled with dirt and numerous earthworms. I place it near their hide. They will smell it worms and come looking. Best of luck with those babies.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee