This may seem a horrible affair to many of you who love corn snakes, but I feel, that in the name of science, the following pictures may provide an alternative feeding choice for those select few who keep the often difficult-to-feed Night Snake. When I obtained this WC San Diego Night (Hypsiglena torquata klauberi) last January, I was harboring quite a bit of guilt due to the fact that I could not find anything that the snake would eat.
I tried pinkies, baby alligator lizards, small salamanders - No luck! Finally in May (4 months!) "Hypsi" took a young Skilton's Skink. That was just a teaser, since I didn't come across any more skinks for quite some time. July brought me my 1st of 2 corn clutches; the triple recessives I was breeding hatched out with a 50% success rate. The other 50% did not die; rather they were all afflicted with numerous vertebral kinks (an occurrence more and more prevalent these days with all the CB mutations).

All of you who overflowing with empathy right now - I understand your emotions. Fortunately, my acceptance of nature's natural way opened the door to solving my Night Snake feeding isssue. "Hypsi" is now feeding regularly on corn neonates. Please note that I incapacitate the corns to prevent prolonged suffering (the first feeding was not nice... very drawn out...).

Anyways, here ya go. Let this be a good reminder for those of you seeking new and unique WC's; there may be a reason why they are not common in captivity (selective prey).

Night Snakes have an incredible ability to stretch circumferentially. If the snake they are eating is too long, they just "fold" it!

Steve