On my local South Texas Reptile forum a friend of mine posted this... Of course. I am getting the to SUPER lucky survivors!!
Here is a copy of the posts...

"A case of mistaken identity...

Unfortunately someone mistook this pretty gartersnake for something else. She came to us last nt. Very sad. After the incident she had 5 babies on Monday. 2 live and 3 dead. This morning when I checked on her there was a little tail protruding from her vent and I could see a head too. I waited but decided to give her some help. The head and tail were 1st out and when removed we saw that the baby had been chopped in half in the incident unfortunately. I definitely feel some more babies inside of her and have her in some warm water and have been massaging her belly. I really don't think she will make it as it is a spinal injury but you never know. She has some but not full control beneathe the 'cut'.

I'd like to thank the STR member who thought of calling us when he found out that this happened and who cared enough to help this pretty girl and her babies.

Here is a pic. You can see the baby's tail hanging from the vent:

And a pic of baby #6 who must have been up high when her injury occured and finally moved down some. The hatchling was rotting inside her. Very sad. I am glad at least 2 of the babies made it.

The 2 surviving babies who are little cuties and doing great!

It's been a rough morning to say the least. I just need to keep in mind that sometimes these unfortunate reptiles find their way to us and we do the best we can.

The snake was belly up this am so on one side I did not have to euthanize her but I feel bad b/c I know better and should have just done it when I 1st got her as it was inevitable. The guy who hit her with the shovel should've just finished the job so she wasn't suffering (a little angry here). I think that even if I had removed the babies immediately that they were already dead b/c there are 2 more that were chopped in half as well when I opened her up. Remember that it was since Monday that the 1st 5 babies came out. I know, being an intensive care RN that she had no feeling and that the spasms in her tail were not a sign of anything to be hopeful for in this case since the spine was clearly severed as evidenced by it being visually misaligned.

This is all very sad. Rest in peace girl...little ones too.

I have decided to post pics of the disection just as a learning experience for fellow members. I hope no one is offended by these as it is not meant to be offensive. She had passed 'naturally' and did not feel any pain during the procedure.