Many folks keep a garter or two around since they are really inexpensive as pets.

Here is things I have found over the years to save money, and still keep your animals healthy and sound.

Sturdy glass or otherwise washable ash trays work great for water bowls, and can be found at any rummage sale for a quarter.

Fish tanks are all over the place, and leaky ones often free, since we use them dry, who cares if the seams leak?

Hides need not be purchased at all, small cardboard boxes are free, and can be used just fine, stripey won't think your cheap, I promise.

If you are creative, and want to build an enclosure, most glass stores will sell you a panel that was mis cut or never picked up for next to nothing to get it off the rack.

I have used clean soil from outside and planted grass in the tank, it is handsome, and free!

toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes and cardboard shipping tubes make fine places to hide.

clamp lamp domes are $5 at Lowe's, fake vines at the dollar store, if you look around and really think, an awesome Viv can be built for next to nothing.

for the more resourceful folks, I have found some great framing at a local scrap yard for pennies, look around it's out there!

Enjoy,
Wayne