Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
I've been keeping garters for over 10 years and have never had an issue with nightcrawler worms. Just make sure to never buy trout/panfish or red wigglers because they are toxic. I also wanted to add that tilapia is not a very good staple and should only be used as a snack. If you get it back eating i would start mixing the diet up a bit maybe throw in some night crawlers, pinky parts, or frozen thawed silversides. I use mice and nightcrawlers for mine and have great success, but i know some people don't want to feed mice.

That's a good point! Maybe he/she is just tired of the same old "fish" taste, because it completely went off fish even though that's what the breeder gave it. I usually dust the filet with vitamins but I don't know if that's enough. I've recently tried pinky parts for the first time yesterday but had to assist feed that also, although he took it in quicker than the fish. I'll try night crawlers and silverside next, thanks! I really want my snake to survive so I'll try anything! Are garters just more finicky/picky with food than other snakes? To get it to gain weight how often should I feed it the pinkies? I'm hoping that eventually it will just understand that it is food without me assist feeding.