Hey everyone!
I've been reading that Garters tend to do well in pairs or small communal settings. If this is truly benificial, I'd like to get a cagemate for my male albino checkered, Timber. I just have a few questions that I'm hoping you all could answer!

First, I'm set on the idea of getting the largest terrarium possible, even if it's just for one snake. That way Timber will have plenty of room to explore and I'll always have the option to give him a snake friend. Is a 40 gallon too much for one 2 foot snake?

Second, are there any recommended species to pair with Thamnophis marcianus? I'm aware to steer clear of WC and wandering varieties for health and cannibalism reasons. And with that, where can I find reputable breeders who have these snakes?

Third, is there a time-span I should get a new one within? I've only had my checkered for a month, I'm sure a cagemate at this point would stress him out. But if I wait too long ( 1-3 years) would there be problems?

Lastly, what's the gereral consensus on housing snakes? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Tell me your thoughts!
Thanks so much for your time!