I only recently learned of these living jewels when I saw two interacting on Sauvie Island, at the confluence of the Columbia & Willamette rivers.

Mostly a Willamette Valley snake of Oregon Oak bottoms along riparian zones & sloughs, it extends slightly into Washington along similar conditions along the Columbia River, which forms the northern border of the Willamette Valley.

Snakes from the Willamette Valley to the south are known to have all orange or red heads. Snakes near the Willamette/Columbia confluence have two-toned heads! I like these even better, and am fortunate that FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE, this species is native to my herping region and is very common in some locations.

Here's my description of colors, for those who have crossed that line into reptile obsession:

Upper head is olive green, lower jaw & throat are creamy white, cheeks are salmon-orange.Body is black with red vertical bars forming hexagon-like shapes along the sides. Belly is greenish-blue for upper portion, but becomes progressively darker blue for remainder of length.

Dorsal stripe is bright greenish-yellow, begins at base of neck and is unbroken except for occasional, small anomalies. Main anomaly is one-third down his body where one scale lacks yellow pigment and resembles a missing scale. Tongue is red with black tip.