Hi, I am new here and have a question. I found a very small garter snake at my place of employment. I took it home to show my son and he was fascinated and begged me to keep it. I decided to keep it and called it Slither (I know, not very origional). I did some research and found that this snake was most likely a baby. I have put him/her in a cage with dirt on the bottom, twigs, leaves, grass and the like. I figured that keeping it in as natural a habitat as possible would be good for it. Unfortunately, it took a day before I realized I forgot the water! (poor thing) it now has a small container of water. I have been feeding it worms from where it was found as I figured that it was best to give it what it would eat in the wild and my research showed worms were the best thing. It has been eating well, a lot actually! My research showed they would eat about every 5 days, mine is eating every 2-3 days, regardless of the size of worm.
My concern is that today I fed it and I think the worm was too big, I saw it having trouble so I cut the worm. He swallowed it but there was blood coming out of it's mouth. Will it be okay? Did I do something wrong? Please help, I'm worried.