I have had this plan going on in my mind for a long time, and it's finally underway.

Think of it as a 3 acre vivarium.

Phase one, removal of some trees.

the next step will be stump removal and excavating a large deep pond..

I will also be leveling the ground surrounding the pond and planting grass & blue spruce trees. I like blue spruce, a very pretty species of tree.

made progress today. The wall of debris at the back end will be covered with the soil displaced excavating the pond forming a dike that will be about six feet high with countless air gaps inside it.

to the left is the side of my hill and to the right is an existing dike with a creek on the other side.

Spent most of today having the area leveled, the spot where the pond is going to be is already getting wet. There is a natural spring located there, combined with the snow melt and spring rains, the pond will be perfect for the local frogs to breed by spring 2011.

My son just had to get in the picture.. Anyhow, the clay base will retain water really well.

once the pond is completely dug out the whole surrounding area will be planted with grass and then fenced off to keep trespassers out.

Lake Thamnophis will be a reality in just a few short months.

I should be seeing a lot more of this next summer..