Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lighting for Albinos

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I didn't really want to sift through a million pages of threads. So what is the general consensus for albino lighting. I know a regular bulb is too bright for them.
    Should I use a red bulb or a what? Bill is building a new toy for her and we are going to use Reptibark for her substrate so we can see her better than we would in aspen. I'm so excited and I want to have everything ready for her when she gets here. He's mailing the money order tomorrow!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Re: Lighting for Albinos

A red bulb would be best for albinos. I believe Marnie uses one for Hermes.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

That's what I figured, but I just wanted confirmation. Thanks Chantel!!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I use a red bulb for him and I also recently got him a blue moonlight bulb which he likes very much. They do not like light much at all...but I have found that Hermes likes the warmth of the bulb and basking very much. I leave his red bulb on all the time and have hanging plants near it that he likes to bask in. He also has a hide right under his bulb that he spends a lot of time in. Then he has hanging plants and a hide on his cool side too. He is very nocturnal...so I actually have a dimmer on the lamp, and I turn the light down during the day and up at night...the opposite of what I do for my other snakes...because he usually comes out at night and basks and hides during the day. Then of course, I just watch...if he seems to be spending a lot of time on the cool side...or if it is a particularly warm day, I just shut his lamp off during the day and put it on low at night. Sometimes I switch it out for the moonlight bulb. I also keep the cool side of his tank covered with a towel to block out extra light coming in from the rooms in my house...he only comes out when the lights are dim in the room, and like I said...most of his active time is in the middle of the night.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks for the info Marnie! Where do you get your bulbs?

Bill is building a new shelving unit for her to sit on. We plan on putting her next to everyone else (just a separate tank). It's pretty dim there most of the time anyway. We don't have a whole lot of lighting in our apartment. We'll probably keep her in another room at first for her quarantine period though.
    Kat

I either get my bulbs at my local pet store or I order them on Amazon...that is where I found the blue moonlight bulb. Here...I use this one: Amazon.com: Zoo Med Nightlight Red Reptile Bulb 40 Watts: Pet Supplies and this one: Amazon.com: Exo Terra Night-Glo Moonlight A19 Lamp, 50-Watt: Pet Supplies Sorry, that second one is actually technically a blacklight bulb...but it looks blue. You have to be careful though, because they make blue bulbs that have UV light in them. Yeah, Hermes is in a shelving unit with my other snakes too...in my living room. It is also pretty dim in there most of the time...I just have to watch for sun coming in the windows during the day...if it gets too bright, I use the towel. Also...I'm not sure how your shelving unit is made...mine is wrought iron, so light comes up from the lights over the tanks below...so I have to put a towel or a piece of cardboard under Hermes' tank to block out the light from the tanks underneath.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Binky, being in a viv with the normal checkereds and the blacknecks, has the standard lighting. The room isn't bright and never gets direct sunlight. There's a strip of white LEDs across the top of the viv on the outside of the ExoTerra mesh top. It's not very bright, just enough so that they know it's daytime in the dim room. Binky comes out as often when the lights are on as she does when the light is off, so I'd say that white LEDs don't do an albino any harm.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I use a standard 40 wat light bulb, but Ziva has dark places to hide.
    Avoid UV lighting as this emits more of the harmful frequencies. Low light is best.

Maybe Hermes is a vampire snake as well as an albino...lol. He really dislikes any kind of light and daytime. He hides during the day even with the red bulb and dim lights in the room. Now, mind you, I have never tried putting a regular bulb in is lamp because I thought you weren't supposed to do that with albinos. Should I try putting a regular 40 watt bulb in his lamp and see if he comes out more?
    Marnie

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

[QUOTE=katach;200435when she gets here. He's mailing the money order tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Wait, what?