Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "male" flame

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

"male" flame

Okay so i got my male flame Crimson probed this weekend and it turns out hes a girl (you were right Shannon). So now i have 2 females and no male, does anyone have a male flame or high red eastern they are willing to sell? Or possibly trade for pugets in the spring. Also Crimsonita (new name) shed and is now 20" its amazing because her sister who i just got from Tina is only 11"
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Re: "male" flame

It is never fun to find out that you did not get what you thought you were getting, but it is better IMO to find out that a male is really a female than the other way around.

I wish I could help, good luck finding what you are looking for!

-Thomas

Tehe.
    I have a male.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdgyExoticReptiles View Post
    Okay so i got my male flame Crimson probed this weekend and it turns out hes a girl (you were right Shannon)
    ::gasp::

that made me feel that much more confident in my sex identification skills... haha!
    My male is smokin, but sadly he's not up for grabs... he's not showing interest in girls yet so, maybe next year!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

Sorry to hear it, Reed. I agree, though, better to get a female from supposed male than the other way 'round.

I'm hearing a lot of "mis-sexing" lately. A friend of mine got a jungle jag carpet python, She turned out to be a he. Another has a boa, and it was supposed to be a he, well, she's now named Oscarina instead of Oscar. We're really hoping that the BP we just got really is a female, as she was reported to be.

I know it's the best way possible, but I hate the idea of probing unless you have someone who REALLY knows what he or she is doing, and really cares about the critter. I've heard that damage can be done during the process. Besides, how do you explain to a snake "just hold still, this will only take a minute"?

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

well, i wish i had some of those snake-sexing skills. all i have is a guy at the local reptile store who popped them for me when they were little, obviously not accurately. it appears that i now sold several snakes as the "wrong" gender and i'm sorry, but i don't know how to fix this. when i look at the snakes ( with the exception of some adults ) i just don't see the differences. maybe with the next clutch i can enlist someone who lives close enough to teach me "popping", or else i just need to list my babies as 0.0.14 and refuse to make any attempt to give people what they want since that just causes disappointments.
    tina, aka garterchick

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. Some of these are hard to tell. Males with a small package. Too young, not developed yet. It just takes time. I'm still learning. Every once in awhile I get fooled by one.
    Be patient.
    The forum is develpoing a thread, with known sexed snakes. It's still in the beginning phase but here's the link. Hope it helps.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/bree...xing-pics.html
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Tina, definitely do not be hard on yourself about this. We all make mistakes, even the most experienced snake sexers still mess up sometimes. I am sure eventually I will mess up too.... Heck, I only just taught myself (carefully) how to pop baby garters last season. Once you get it down, it's really easy to do. I also recently learned how to probe snakes and now own a set of probes, but remember, baby garters are far to small for probes. I was amazed at daytona how quickly and easily Scott Felzer pops a baby garter. I'm not quite THAT fast yet
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

I soon learn how pops garter but I also learn that many female have simili spur that look like male .Sometime even the better popper can mistaken male and female...only experienced keeper should try this method because that can easily hurts the snake...

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

Tina, remember that anyone can be fooled. When you attempt to "pop sex" the snakes, you can only be truly sure about males. If hemipenes come out, it's definitely a male. If nothing comes out, it could be a female, or there's a chance a male just didn't pop for you.

It's not hard to pop a baby. I just read about it and tried it. I read to "roll your thumb in kind of a pushing motion below the cloaca, in the direction from tip of tail toward head." I didn't force the issue, and when it pops, believe me, you know a boy.

Rather than list them all as unknown, why not get a count of known males, and the rest list as PROBABLE females, sexed by popping?

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com