Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Opinions on injured snake??

I was out hiking today and came across a water snake suffering from either mouth rot a very serious facial injury. There was no way this snake could eat, and I think that it might have been an injury instead of mouth rot because she also had a pretty bad tail injury. I run across this particular snake at least once a week, and this has all happened since the last time I saw her.

I kind of want to catch her and try to treat the mouth thing at least.. I've heard mouth rot is contagious though, and I wouldn't want to risk bringing in anything that could potentially hurt Houdini. Also, I can't spend a lot of money on medicine. Just out of curiosity.. Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Re: Opinions on injured snake??

Without seeing some photos it's really hard to say whether TLC would be enough or if this is actually mouth rot. Like you said it could be some kind of injury.
    It's very nice that you want to help.
    Mouth Rot - Caresheets
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?
    Yes.

Depending on the extent of the damage (A photo would be helpful) it may be more humane to just terminate the snake.

If the mouth/face is heavily damaged it would be cruel to allow the animal to suffer through starvation/infections.

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    . Does this sound like something that might work itself out with a little tlc and readily available food, or is it a lost cause?
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Yes.

????????? Richard no wonder you have such a high post count... If you don't have something useful to say, then silence is truly a virtue.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

it was a useful answer, just a short and to-the-point one!
    Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Depending on the extent of the damage (A photo would be helpful) it may be more humane to just terminate the snake.

If the mouth/face is heavily damaged it would be cruel to allow the animal to suffer through starvation/infections.

????????? Richard no wonder you have such a high post count... If you don't have something useful to say, then silence is truly a virtue.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I would have brought that snake home in a heartbeat.... I always try to help the unfortunate ones. Last year I discovered at my favorite lake, a water snake that was thrashing around in some rocks. Then he stopped and layed there lifelessly and I could not figure out what was going on. He payed no mind to me. Upon closer inspection.. this snake had clearly attempted to eat someone's bait minnow, got hooked, and whoever reeled him in, cut the line and the line became tangled in those rocks, meaning the poor snake was STUCK there, hooked in the throat, forced to drape awkwardly over this rock with nowhere to go and no way to free himself. I scooped him up and severed the line... then using a pair of needlenose pliers I unhooked the fish hook. He was tired, his skin was all scuffed up from thrashing, and he was dehydrated from laying in the hot sun... But he was still strong and alert... and I have never seen a wild water snake that seemed more OKAY with being handled... poor fella looked relieved! I scooped up some tadpoles out of the lake and offered them after letting him drink. He accepted them and ate them right there in my hands... so I knew he would be okay. I sent him on his way

Water snakes are tough as nails. A few years ago, I caught a water snake that had at one point been injured severely in the face. This snake reared up at me and when he opened his mouth, I noticed that the entire bottom jaw was split vertically, right down the middle! He looked like something from the movie predator with his mouth open and sprawling in three directions! it was healed over completely though... so there is a good chance your water snake can recover, even on her own! If you don't find her again.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    it was a useful answer, just a short and to-the-point one!
    Here's where I must be confused.

The question had a "multiple choice" answer.

Q. Should I turn left or right??

A. Yes.

How exactly does that constitute any answer at all?

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post

Q. Should I turn left or right??

A. Yes.
    I see nothing wrong with this haha!

maybe it's because I am a troll.

Trolling is a art.

Banned

It's my honest answer. It doesn't have to be useful and you don't have to like it. I thought we've been through this already.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions, I know it's hard to get an idea of what the problem is with no picture.
    I wish I'd had a camera with me, but getting to the area where I generally find them involves walking half a mile up a creek, so it's a risk for me to bring my camera down.

I'm thinking it's probably an injury, but is definitely infected. This one has very pretty red coloring and is always very calm around me, so I'd hate to see her die. Next time I'm down there if she's still around I'll try and catch her to get some pics and see if there's anything I can do.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis