Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Snake on the loose

As the title says I wasn't careful enough during feeding and one of the subadult garters got loose in the house. After tearing the house apart I still couldn't find him and since I had just fed them I knew that he wouldn't be coming out on his own for a few days at least. So, all I could do was wait. While checking on a prego bearded dragon I just happened notice something out of the corner of my eye....a small garter sunning under her heat lamp. Escapee is returned to his cage safely. If the bearded dragon had not been so close to laying she would have had him for supper, lucky for him.

"First shed In Progress" krystalirelan@southslope.'s Avatar

Re: Snake on the loose

congrats on finding him so quickly. I lost 7 baby corns once (hubby did not latch the lid). We had lost all hope and then one day, about 2 months later, cleaning the bathroom I picked up the trash can and one was under there. I actually walked away. I was half way down the hall before it registered!
    Krystal

"Third shed, A Success" GarterGirl's Avatar

It's a good thing you didn't lose your snake!
    MIKHAILA

Tori
    I bet you were relieved when you saw him - whew!

Krystal
    did you ever find any more of your corns?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

My girl got loose a few months back. It was a race to find her before my terrier did. lol I found her safe and sound when I was half way under my bed, searching in a panic and felt something slither up my pant leg. xD Thank God.

LMAO....Now how many people would be able to say that and mean it?
    I found her safe and sound when I was half way under my bed, searching in a panic and felt something slither up my pant leg. xD Thank God.
    Only a true reptile lover!

The first time we lost our large king snake, we didn't even know it.
    We'd all been hanging out on the couch with the snake and then we all got busy and forgot about the snake.
    I need to mention here that we've had a history of water leaks in this apartment and once we had concrete sludge run down a heater pipe from upstairs. So when I heard the subtle dripping sounds I was instantly alert and went to investigate.
    The sound came from an open passage between the hallway and the living room. There is shelving on both sides of that passage and whitish stuff was dripping down between the shelves. My first thought was "Oh crap - their plaster got too runny upstairs and it's coming down my wall. That thought only lasted a moment before I saw . . .
    Thankfully I've never lost any of my garters. They'd be a lot harder to find than this big guy
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

About ten years ago, when I had my first garters, I lost four of them on different occasions. Two went AWOL in my office, and were never found, even when we tore the room apart to carpet and paint it. But we did discover a crack where the wall meets the foundation, and figure they went walkabout outdoors.

Fortunately, they were native species.

Then later, I lost two in my basement. The male resurfaced MANY months later (6 or 7). I saw him under the stairwell, poking his head out and looking around, and was able to catch him.

After returning him to a viv, he ate three pinkies that week! But he seemed to have lost weight, but was not emaciated and had stayed in fairly good shape. The floor down there is about 65 degrees, and there is an open sump pump well where he could get water, so I figure the low temps and the available water enabled him to live that long.

However, the female was never found... and she was gravid!

And I don't think she came up the stairs, because our cats would have preyed on her... so I never did figure out where she went!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Never had any of my garters get out, but when I was younger my big PI King had gotten out a couple times (usually....ok, always my fault)...funny thing was she'd never get "lost". She would just cruise the room (my bedroom) and just destroy stuff. She knocked pictures of the walls, tore up carpeting, cleaned off my night stands and dressers and even pulled down curtains. I'd get home to a trashed room and just find her coiled up asleep some where. One time she was all curled up in the sock drawer taking a nap!
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

yep, that's what mine does - he cruises around for a while. He has a favourite hiding place. It's a place where I can't get him, but he always gets bored after a while and starts cruising again. He likes high places.
    rhea