Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Warning! Problem with perch

In a never ending quest for safe food for my Radix family I found(according to the internet) Ocean Perch as not containing any Thiaminase. I purchased a 1lb package of skin-on fillets at Walmart. I thawed out a piece and cut it up for a group(29) of my 5 month old babies. They loved it and filled up. I left the house for about 1 1/2 hours. When I returned I checked on that group of snakes. I had snakes puking everywhere. Some looked to be in convulsions. I immediately started praying and pulled the worst 8 snakes out. Not sure what to do I just kept them together in the middle of the livingroom. Some were able to regurgitate and they immediately acted better. This is the first time I've been glad my kids were with their mother. They would not have been able to handle it.
    At this point it doesn't look like I'm going to lose any of them. I have never had anything like this happen. I did notice that the fillets are a product of China and processed there also. I hope that this turns out okay for my babies. Natural death and things out of my control are hard enough to handle but because of my actions. That would be terrible. I'm not even going to eat this stuff. Has anyone ever had this kind of reaction when a different food was fed? Some insight would be great.
    I just found another in trouble. It was trying to puke. I held it, head down and let gravity assist. It was able to get it out. I won't be sleeping much tonight.

Re: Warning! Problem with perch

Awe Steve, I don't know what to say.

My thoughts are with you.

Good luck

Steve, I'm speechless. Sending lots of prayers and hopes that they are all ok.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

That is so awful! I hope the little guys pull through it ok. I so enjoy hearing about them and, I'm so glad your daughter is not at home!

Zoe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

awww how terrible!!!! i hope they are ok.....
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

the fish normally would be safe....I would ditch the fish...something else is wrong with them.... I had a situation years ago...lived in a small town in Idaho. the store was run by an idiot....would repackage hot dogs and sell them after the expiration date...even tho the vendor would replace them free..... I bought some orange roughy....cut some chunks up and fed my garters....saved the rest and was gonna have it for dinner....in half an hour the snakes were in convulsions....something bad with the fish...rotten, called the health dept, said not to eat it, but sucky thing is they wouldn't test it cuz no humans got sick eating it. if I had eaten it, I might not be here today!! something in the processing is bad...probably contaminated fish, spoiled. garters can eat carrion in the wild so it takes some bad bacteria to cause that. good luck with the little ones and ditch the fish!

The pukefest continues. Looks like food poisoning. To watch these poor little ones reminds me of the time I had problems with some bad pizza. I feel for them. So far I haven't lose any, yet. Will keep a constant eye on them tonight.

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

It could be that the fish was just bad, and I don't particularly like to pick on any one country, BUT.....
    I had an incident with a snake after feeding salmon from China, and I'm not convinced that there wasn't some weird chemical in there. She didn't regurgitate the fish, but she suffered from funny tremors within a couple hours of eating it, and they lasted for a couple of days.
    Incidentally, my son has had reactions to candy made in China, and with all the latest news about melamine in milk, I can't say I'd trust ingesting any food from that country. The safety standards just aren't there, and I find that scary.
    Anji

Well, everyones still hanging in there. Here's a few of my sick kids. I think they're kinda like us. Once we throw-up the bad stuff we feel a whole lot better. My concerns is for the ones who haven't chucked it yet. Hopefully, there systems can take what ever it is that made them sick. I'm going to the manager at Walmart to see if they will pay all or part of the price to get this fish analyzed. I need to know what's going on. I need answers. Must be the Cop in me. Not sure if I'll get anywhere but "If you don't make any calls, you won't make any sales". They'll have to tell me no more than once to get it across to me.

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Aww, poor things..........
    Hope they all feel better soon!
    Anji