Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Hello, new here and to garters :-)

Hello-- First, I swear I posted this last night but now I can't find it. So if this post is redundant, please forgive me!

I am considering purchasing two baby garter snakes and I am hoping to be able to learn as much as I can here. This seems like a wonderful, friendly forum, so I look forward to badgering everyone with questions!! :-) I do have two ball pythons, one rescue and one baby that I purchased, so I do have some snake experience.

I've been doing as much research as I can on garter care, and I feel pretty confident, but I am confused on the breed I'm looking at. I can't find any info on them, and the seller has been a bit hard to communicate with. He's probably very busy. But here's what I understand these snakes to be:

At first I thought they were Florida blue stripes, but he emailed back yesterday and told me they are not-- they are "a blue phase of pickerings". I can't find the first thing on a "pickering"?? Any clues for me as to what I'm getting??!!! And where to read more about them??

I fell in love with their coloring...they are a vibrant blue, just stunning.

Thanks for any input!!!

:-) Lori

Re: Hello, new here and to garters :-)

Hi Lori, and welcome to the forum. Puget Sound Garters (Thamnophis sirtalis pickeringii) are very nice snakes! Quite a few of our members have them, so I'm sure you'll be able to get all the help and advice you need. I am taking delivery of a pair of 'red phase' pickeringii next week....Can't wait!
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Puget Sound Garters (Thamnophis sirtalis pickeringii) are very nice snakes! Quite a few of our members have them,
    And we want more!!!!

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

Hi Lori and welcome to this nice forum
    Like James already said don't worry too much about the names and other garter things you might not know (yet ) There's a lot to learn here !!

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

r u getting them from bob?
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Tori, not to worry, I will soon be driving you all to distraction with photos. :-)

Sabine, I was just looking at the pics of your snake room and I am just INSPIRED!!!! You have an amazing set up for your snakes; beautiful, comfortable for the snakes, and very natural looking. Just amazing!!!!!

Reedkamsia-- Yes!! Bob!! Is he on here?? He's been very nice, very patient with my TONS of questions, I just get impatient for more info and think I bugged the poor guy to death...

Hi Lori and welcome to the forum.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

James, that's it!!!! Thank you!!!!! But now I have a whole new problem... are you telling me that in order to be a "real" snake-mom I'll have to learn all these scientific names??!! SIGH... and all I wanted was a couple of cute little blue snakes...

You all better type r-e-a-l slow, because it's all greek to me....

THANKS again, and I really look forward to getting these guys and learning more here!!!

Don't worry too much about the scientific names, Lori, they'll soon become familiar. Not everyone uses them, but they are better, as there can be no doubt about what species you're refferring to when you use the scientific name.
    James.

Welcome to the forum Lori! I think you will love it here as much as I do. Everyone here has been very helpful and supportive to me. You'll have to show us photos of your babies as soon as you get them, this is a requirement....just kidding...kind of...LOL.

Tori