Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Juvenile snake

Hexagonal Vivarium

So I've got this vivarium that I used to keep treefrogs in a few years ago, and it was so nice when it was set up that I can't help but want to use it again. The only problem is, I'm not sure which species would be the best to keep in a tank like this :P . Its 23 inches tall, and each of the 6 sides is 10.5 inches. The distance from opposite corners being 22 inches. It has a relatively large floor space that I think would give the snake a lot of room to explore without needing to turn back and forth on it self. The amount of empty space for decor and "furniture" gave for quite an extravagant environment for the treefrogs. I'm just ecstatic thinking of what I could do with that much space for a garter to climb in. I was thinking of keeping a pair of pickeringii or a lone vagrans in there. Or even a trio of ordinoides to show off their polymorphism. Any words or thoughts you have while reading this, if doing so , please feel free to respond with :P
    Also, are there any thamnophis species that tend to be more arboreal than anything else, even if for only a limited period of time?
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

Re: Hexagonal Vivarium

I think it could work very well if you put a bulb at the top with branches and plant at different level,you will get a very nice gradient because the snake gets to choose its basking temperature and if it gets to warm it could retreat to ground level.
    Will

Most of my garters make use of vertical space when I give them the opportunity.
    My T.ordinoides (Northwestern garter) don't seem to do a lot of climbing.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Of mine, it's the Blacknecks that tend to be most arboreal. Others climb a bit but the blackneck pair will both spend hours or days coiled in the tops of the plants in their viv.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I was just going to say... blacknecks. My blackneck loves to perch up in his branches and balances all of his coils on about 3 small points of branch!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Adult snake

Green tree python! That's what I plan to do with my 30-gallon hex tank after I feed all of the fish to my garters.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

My Butlers spend a lot of time sunning in their branches, but I believe they may be protected in your area.

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KephrenJorgensen View Post
    So I've got this vivarium that I used to keep treefrogs in a few years ago, and it was so nice when it was set up that I can't help but want to use it again. The only problem is, I'm not sure which species would be the best to keep in a tank like this
    Amazon Tree Boas!

Juvenile snake

now as much as I would love to have boas and pythons and such, I dont have that kind of money :P. Im talkin THAMNOPHIS people! Between pickeringii and e vagrans, which would YOU keep in such an enclosure?
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KephrenJorgensen View Post
    now as much as I would love to have boas and pythons and such, I dont have that kind of money :P. Im talkin THAMNOPHIS people! Between pickeringii and e vagrans, which would YOU keep in such an enclosure?
    In that case I would say eastern blacknecks, they love to climb. Also amazon tree boa babies are relatively inexpensive, just saying