Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: herp friends

Hybrid View

herp friends

I don't know about any of you guys, but I'm pretty isolated in my passion for herps and more so garters.
    Occasionally I meet someone who used to have a boid or an iguana, or people who think it's cool that I have herps and/or disappointed that they're not big ones.
    In essence, until I came to this forum I was very lonely. It's a little better now and I also know I'm not sufficiently pro-active - like I don't go to the meetings of the herpetological society (well, it's a bit of a journey)
    Anyway, in the past week I met two people who are into herps and I so hope the connection will happen. One is a friend of a friend who doesn't have any right now and is excited to meet mine (yes, even the garters) and the other is a guy on the Subway who overheard Mikhaila and me talking about Drache and chimed in. He has two beardie females and we talked about having them meet Henner. I gave him our phone number, but we didn't have the time to get his before his stop. I so hope he follows through.
    How is is that in a place this big and populated I have to convert my daughter's friends to herp nuts in order to have company? Am I just too weird?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: herp friends

In my local area, I also don't know anyone who has herps. But well, I'm kinda used to it ( even here I'm the only person from Belgium ). So I met a lot of people by going to fora, shows, ... and it's been fun meeting them, although it usually take's me some time to get there. But it would indeed be nice to meet someone in my area also

"First shed In Progress" krystalirelan@southslope.'s Avatar

we have the same problem. my kids are always asked about our pets. we have taken them to show at a few of thier classes but some teachers are very afraid and don't want them there. adults I know just think we are insane. Being in a college town there are alot of people who have herp, the problem is when they graduate mom & dad won't let the kids bring them home and alot are left outside or picked up by the animal shelter. ( this is why I have the iguana and the red tail boa) unfortunatly I can't take in everything, though as soon as I win the lottery I am bulding a house that centers around reptiles!
    Krystal

Rhea,
    I think you'll find the same is true for most of us here. It is for me, but I do have the consolation that one of my sons live very near by and is as much into herps as I am. He and I buddy up and go on at least "short" field trips routinely.

Sid

No one outside this forum even knows that I keep snakes. I've never liked the way people always assume you're some kind of eccentric or just a nut. I hate having to explain myself to people, so I just keep my passion to myself. Lonely? Maybe, a little, sometimes.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    No one outside this forum even knows that I keep snakes. I've never liked the way people always assume you're some kind of eccentric or just a nut. I hate having to explain myself to people, so I just keep my passion to myself. Lonely? Maybe, a little, sometimes.
    Wow James, I've got to say I'm just the opposite....EVERYONE knows that I keep snakes, hell in my neighborhood I'm known as the snake man. I actually really enjoy "explaining myself" to people, for just the fact that I've found that I can change some of their misconceptions about snakes. Yeh, I still have the people who think I'm a freak, but hey......I AM...HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I also really don't have any close reptile friends. All my good friends that I have, we get together for other stuff. I've got one buddy that I "converted" several years ago and that's about it. Good thing, a HerpClub started in my area, so now I'm finding new people to talk with and go herping with. And not to be forgotten, all the really cool people I've met here on the forum. I've always liked garters, but being here has really ignited my love of them and gotten me pointed back to the right direction with them. So here's to the freakish, garter lovers of the world!!!!!!
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

I feel incredibly fortunate that my best friend keeps snakes, too. Pythons rather than Garters, but he is always fantastic to talk to and has useful advice handy. Sadly he lives a 3 hour train journey away.
    Other than him most of my friends shudder at the thought of my snakes. In fact one of my closest friends has such a terrible phobia that her husband has to go through any magazine she buys and cut out any possible pictures of snakes. Sometimes it's so bad she can't even say the name and just refers to snakes as "the lizards without legs" or even "you know what". Needless to say, I don't tell her about my "you know whats".

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy View Post
    Wow James, I've got to say I'm just the opposite....EVERYONE knows that I keep snakes, hell in my neighborhood I'm known as the snake man. I actually really enjoy "explaining myself" to people, for just the fact that I've found that I can change some of their misconceptions about snakes. Yeh, I still have the people who think I'm a freak, but hey......I AM...HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I also really don't have any close reptile friends. All my good friends that I have, we get together for other stuff. I've got one buddy that I "converted" several years ago and that's about it. Good thing, a HerpClub started in my area, so now I'm finding new people to talk with and go herping with. And not to be forgotten, all the really cool people I've met here on the forum. I've always liked garters, but being here has really ignited my love of them and gotten me pointed back to the right direction with them. So here's to the freakish, garter lovers of the world!!!!!!
    Roy
    I sort of advertise my hobby. I mean, it's a way to get other people with the same interests to realize that there are others. Hopefully, they'll make contact. And when you're literally shoving a camera in the face of a big pissy adder in front of 15 people how can you NOT advertise it?

By advertising I don't mean doing stupid stunts or even having stuff or clothes with little reptiles. Just by showing interest in them whenever they're under discussion.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Im getting my wife into snakes!!! My son and I caught the 2 we have now, used to have a corn but has since passed. Other than that, I too am a lonely snake keeper! lol.

"Preparing For Second shed"

When I was a kid I had friends that would go, one that loved to go looking for critters just as much as me, I'm the one that caught/kept the snakes, he kept the salamanders lol. Moved found another friend in middleschool, found a snake once and we scarred his mom, then spent the rest of the day looking to uncover a dozen large ones hiding in holes under his wood pile ! None since though, I'm a lone ranger ;*)