Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tub size

Hybrid View

Juvenile snake

Tub size

What size tub do you house your adult T.Radix in?

Re: Tub size

That all depends on the size of the radix.
    I give as much room as possible unless it's a group of babies. I like to keep the babies close together.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Also make sure that if you're heating with tape or heat pad, that it's big enough to warm part of the bottom without overheating the entire tub.

I house all my snakes in glass terrariums, the biggest are 80 cm wide, 60 cm deep and 40 cm high, those are for single females or a couple during mating season.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

Juvenile snake

Ive had alot of sucess with no heat so far. I would love to house them in a rack and an open to suggestions

I'm not sure what area you are from but Craigslist.com is a great place to pickup aquariums and other reptile related items. Usually at a greatly reduced price.
    Many people just want to get rid of the stuff to get it out of their way.
    Just an idea.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I keep mine in a rack system..... I use 28 at tubs for the adults and they do fine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    yep.... I would love to have the room to put mine in glass tanks... you got 80 of them laying around I could buy real cheap oh, would also need a bigger critter room

One might say that there are too many snakes then. Well, for me anyway. You're absolutely right Wayne, and I see your point. I'm not trying to run a production facility or have a hundred or more snakes. I just want a few snakes to enjoy and breed just a few.

Lord knows there's some other garters I'd love to have but if I can't have them in glass and manage to have room, then I must restrain myself and/or part with a few I have to make room. That's just me personally. I am diversifying my collection, but trying ever so hard to not have to add tanks. Still, it does look like I might have to add a 20 gallon or two by next season but that will just about put me at max capacity and heaven forbid any should grow to the point of needing bigger tanks. And for me, yes, it's about room, but not only about room. I want few enough that I can appreciate them. I don't want so many that I can't tell you how many I have. right Steve? *ehem*

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I'm not sure what area you are from but Craigslist.com is a great place to pickup aquariums and other reptile related items. Usually at a greatly reduced price.
    Many people just want to get rid of the stuff to get it out of their way.
    Just an idea.

Not just an idea. This is what I have done. If I had paid more than $1 a gallon for slide-lock reptile enclosures,(or less) or more than 1/3 retail price (or less) for some of my lights and stuff, I'd be so broke, I wouldn't be able to feed them!

Just recently, my local craigslist had an ad for one of these: Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium - 18 in. x 18 in. x 18 in.

They were asking $40 including lights, bulbs, unopened reptibark substrate, and other cool stuff to go with it! (added up to at least $200 retail)

Craigslist. I love it. First I got a wonderful Pueblan milk snake there. Adopted, with very reasonable "rehoming fee" Later, I used craigslist to trade her for a 55 gallon long for my garters, and buy dome lights for 5 bucks each. And of course, there's always slide lock tanks of various sizes, and accessories for dirt cheap at almost any given time. I've never had to pay more than $1 a gallon for slide lock tanks in good shape.

Some places are better than others of course. It helps that I'm in a major metro area (actually made up of several cities that spans across state lines)

Want a normal BP, corn snake, bearded dragon, CA king, or boa? free, or practically free at any given time around here. Look no farther than craigslist.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 12-08-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Juvenile snake

THANKS GUYS! I want to centralize them in one area and a rack seem to be my best option.

Banned

To each his own, I suppose. Garter snakes as a general rule, are sun-loving, (love to bask and explore) active snakes. Seems like a shame to hide them away in a rack. I'd much prefer to have them in glass enclosures on a shelf system so you can observe them without disturbing them.