PDA

View Full Version : Tlc

Jennay
05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
We have just found a Garter who lookes to have had a run in with something and his/her eyes are completly damaged. we have put him/her in an aquarium with mulch from our yard were he was found and also some rocks and a water dish not to big and not to small. Just right if it wanted to coil up in it if it wants. My three year old daughter is already attached and named it Squishy.He is about a foot long about around as a finger.It can open its mouth and has drank some water. Please could some one tell me what we should do.I love snakes and also my kids,Husband not so much. What should we do?And also Hello!!! I AM NEW. Jennay:)

adamanteus
05-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Jennay, and welcome to the forum. It's hard to be able to offer any really helpful advice about the eye problem, without seeing a picture to show the extent of the damage.

General guidance as to husbandry can be found here
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
If you have specific questions please feel free to ask. We have a very knowledgable and helpful membership.

If you would like to post a photo just follow this link to learn how.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/181-posting-pictures.html?highlight=posting+pictures

Stefan-A
05-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

About the snake's eyes.. I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here (as I always do), but are you sure it's not just about to shed? Does it react to movement? You can test it with, for example, a flashlight.

CrazyHedgehog
05-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Jennay, welcome to the forum, if you get a picture on here I am sure someone will be able to help.
If you can't get a picture on here, can you explain? The eyes are cut? grazes? dented? etc. Hope you get some help!

adamanteus
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Jennay, Are the eyes blue/opaque? As Stefan suggested it might be just a case of imminent sloughing.

Sid
05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jennay. Hope all works out well with the snakes eye.

Sid

Jennay
05-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Thank you, but I still don't know what to do.I know this is not any kind of infection (he I think ) has been hurt by something. The eyes are pritty much gone. Jennay

adamanteus
05-27-2007, 06:06 PM
If you can't post a photo, I would suggest you see a vet then. If the eyes have been physically damaged there is a chance of secondary infection.

Jennay
05-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Thank you, but I still don't know what to do.I know this is not any kind of infection (he I think ) has been hurt by something. The eyes are pritty much gone. Jennay

The tip of his nose is also damaged there are no holes so he keeps his mouth open just a bit to breath.

adamanteus
05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Jennay, it's difficult to visualize...can you post a picture?

garterman07
05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
he might be too far gone from the image i put in my head. but a picture would definatly help

Snaky
05-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the forum :) .

I also think a vet visit is a good thought. For us it's guessing in the dark at this moment.

Odie
05-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Jennay. Hope all works out well with the snake but a picture would definatly help ;)

stonyloam
05-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Jennay: Sounds like you are doing the right things for a wild caught creature that has been injured. It would most certainly die on the outside, but if it is drinking then that is a start toward recovery. Looks like two choices: either humanly kill it, or keep it comfortable, and see if it will eat, and see what happens. Sounds like it will be blind, but if it will eat, it might be OK. Personally I don’t think I would bother with the vet, but might contact a local animal rehabilitator, or listen to the fine folks on this site for advice. Good luck with Squishy.

Jennay
05-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Jennay: Sounds like you are doing the right things for a wild caught creature that has been injured. It would most certainly die on the outside, but if it is drinking then that is a start toward recovery. Looks like two choices: either humanly kill it, or keep it comfortable, and see if it will eat, and see what happens. Sounds like it will be blind, but if it will eat, it might be OK. Personally I don’t think I would bother with the vet, but might contact a local animal rehabilitator, or listen to the fine folks on this site for advice. Good luck with Squishy.

Hello, Squishy is doing good.eatting still a little tricky.He Is drinking just fine when we show him.tried to feed him no luck yet bet I know he will soon.We have been holding him some to get him use to our touch, it does not take him long to calm down. Jennay

Jennay
05-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Jennay. Hope all works out well with the snake but a picture would definatly help ;)

I will try to get a pic. soon, don't know how have to get my husband to do it.

stonyloam
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Jennay: Sounds like things are looking up a little for squishy. Let us know when he eats, so we can celebrate a little with you. Good luck!

Jennay
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I was able to get him to eat a little spider(and I really hate spiders). But is going to be that he is hand fed at all times.We are going to try some worms next.But I am still learning on what I should really feed him so,if you have any suggestions please don't hesitate. Thanks Jennifer

drache
05-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Jennifer
I so glad Squishy seems to be settling in
spiders or other insects are not good garter food though
can you see whether perhaps you can find some small slugs or earthworms (not the skinny red wriggly ones, but the bigger ones that are more grayish pink)
If there's water around where you are, you might even try to get some tadpoles
it's probably easiest to get him to eat something from his habitat that smells familiar
once he does start eating, we can help you expand his food repertoire
good luck and thanks for keeping us posted

Jennay
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello, I would first of all like to say THANK YOU for the kindsess you all have shown,But with a sad heart Squishy has passed. He was badly hurt and I had hoped he would have had a chance. So again I would like to Thank You. Jennifer

adamanteus
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear that Squishy died. At least you tried.

garterchick
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
sorry for your loss, jennifer, you did what you could.
tina

drache
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Jennifer
I am so sorry Squishy died
his injury sounded pretty severe
so sorry though

adamanteus
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
From what I have read here, I don't think any of us could have done more. Just bad luck. Good on Jennay for trying though.

Jennay
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you all. Maybe some day We can try again. I would like to get every thing to make a great home first so we do not have any guessing.Life is always a trial and error game. Thanks again Jennifer

adamanteus
05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Your welcome Jennay, I'm only sorry we couldn't help you to save poor Squishy. Why not read up on the subject and join us as a Garter Snake keeper? You'd be most welcome here.

stonyloam
05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear the news, but even the drink of water was a true act of kindness that I am sure gave him some comfort before he died.

GarterGuy
06-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Hey Jen...Sorry to hear about the loss of your little one....at least he was in good hands for his passing.
Roy

Jennay
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
he might be too far gone from the image i put in my head. but a picture would definatly help

I would like to say hello and I have been thinking of trying again. We would just like to get the right hohe for our next little guy we get, And I would likke to Thank all who thought of us in our time of need. THANKS Jennifer