PDA

View Full Version : Medication question?

d_virginiana
01-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Well, when I had to leave my snakes to go back to school, Harley's mouth issues seemed to be under control, but having to use the betadine for her made me curious about some things.

What happens if medication gets onto their eyecaps? Harley was pretty calm, so I didn't really have a problem with that, but it'd be good to know regardless.

Oh, and just a quick update on my baby; her mouth wasn't nearly as swollen when I left, but my mother is treating her with the betadine every few days since there was still a bit of puffiness when I left and apparently no one else can see the difference between normal Harley-face and infected Harley-face :cool: This whole thing actually worked out nicely for her since her tank is now in the other room next to the frog where it's much warmer than the room the garters are normally in, which she seems to enjoy quite a bit.

guidofatherof5
01-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I would check a betadine website and see what the precautions and reactions are.
Hope this helps.
Povidone-iodine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povidone-iodine)
BETADINE Side Effects, BETADINE Drug Information, BETADINE Dosage (http://www.pharmacyhealth.net/d/betadine-2560.htm)

d_virginiana
01-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Well, on the bottle of betadine it says it's for external use only, but in my other thread I got a link telling me to use a 10% concentration for mouth infections, so I figured it wasn't incredibly harmful (or at least, less harmful than a mouth infection..)

I was just curious if the same precautions had to be taken for getting stuff into snakes' eyes as you would with other animals since they have eyecaps. Not just the betadine, but anything really. I mean, I'm still extra careful when it comes to getting anything near their eyes, but since they can't blink to get it out if you mess up and a drop of something gets on their eye it would be interesting to know if it is as harmful as it would be for something else.