PDA

View Full Version : plastic storage tub

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Can someone please post a pic of the plastic storage tubs/bins used to put babies in after snakes give birth so that I can see exactly what I am looking for? What size do I want? I want to get one to be prepared if Cee Cee does give birth soon. Also, one of my garter books said something about making a birth box and putting it in the enclosure...a little plastic box with wet straw and vermiculite? Does anyone actually use anything like this for gravid females?

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakes2012/enclosures/box1.jpg

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakes2012/enclosures/box2.jpg

PINJOHN
01-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Good old Stefan...a man of few words :D

snakehill
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
What is the best way to make air holes? Soldering iron? :confused:

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 11:47 AM
What is the best way to make air holes? Soldering iron? :confused:
Yes. By far. I've found that you risk cracking the plastic with all other methods and with a soldering iron you can make about one hole every two seconds, depending on the plastic.

infernalis
01-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Just a word of caution...

This little snake tried to escape a plastic tote, he got his head wedged in the seam and broke his own neck trying to free himself.. Yes he is dead.

http://www.thamnophis.us/secret/brokeneck.jpg

GarterGuy17
01-01-2012, 12:06 PM
That is just terrible Wayne I would hate for that to happen to one of my snakes.

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I think it would be difficult to find an enclosure where something similar couldn't happen.

infernalis
01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I think it would be difficult to find an enclosure where something similar couldn't happen.

True.

I use much taller totes now, with tighter fitting lids.

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Okay...I don't own a soldering iron, nor do I know how to use one. How many holes should I put in the top...does anyone have a pic of a tub with holes already in it? Thanks for the pics Stefan. I do have a plastic turtle terrarium tub with a wire mesh top built in...I'm using it for a feed tank now...could I just use that? Here is a pic of the tub lid...I used it for Seeley when he was little.

snakehill
01-01-2012, 12:59 PM
What would be a decent price for the soldering iron that you would need? They were around $5 for a 40 watt on Ebay. Would that be a good deal? :confused:

GarterGuy17
01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Well to solder through plastic i'm sure you can use any soldering iron , I have a couple my self that I use ( not for plastic ) but all get very hot so , any will due.

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Okay...I don't own a soldering iron, nor do I know how to use one.
They're plug and play. Plug it in, let it heat up and start poking holes. I don't recommend doing it indoors, or at the very least it should be done in a well-ventilated area.

chris-uk
01-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I've drilled and used a soldering iron. Out of around 50 holes I drilled I only cracked one. I used a 2mm drill bit which I think is too small for even a baby to get stuck in - happy to be corrected if anyone has had problems with holes that small. My preference is to drill many more small holes rather than make one larger hole.
If you use a soldering iron I found that I ended up with lots of fine strings of molten plastic, so if you do that make sure you clear them all up.

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
The plastic turtle tub that I posted a pic of...could I just use that? I used it for Seeley when he was little. I do not see any places in it that a snake could escape or get stuck. It already has a wire mesh top built in.

And what about a place for her to give birth? Should I have a birth box in her enclosure?

chris-uk
01-01-2012, 02:21 PM
You know the problems to look out for with a container Marnie, have a good look at it, then look at it again. From the photo I can't see any problems, and if you think it's safe to use I think you will be OK with it.

Not sure about the birthing box, I read the same as you so I think it's a good idea, but not sure when you need to put it in.

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I've drilled and used a soldering iron. Out of around 50 holes I drilled I only cracked one.
A couple of months ago, I used a soldering iron to melt holes in 21 plastic boxes, 20 holes per box. Had I cracked 1/50 holes, that would have meant the loss of over a third of the boxes.

snakehill
01-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Holes on the cover or around the sides or both? :o

chris-uk
01-01-2012, 03:07 PM
A couple of months ago, I used a soldering iron to melt holes in 21 plastic boxes, 20 holes per box. Had I cracked 1/50 holes, that would have meant the loss of over a third of the boxes.
Not sure that I'd have to throw away a box because one of the holes cracked. It's not like the plastic doesn't hold together perfectly fine. If you're using more brittle plastic it may be different.

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Well what is vermiculite? And would you use wet straw or something else for the birth box? I don't know what I think about the birth box. But I do think I'm going to go with the turtle tub for the babies because I think it's my safest and most secure bet. Now...do most of you start your babies feeding on nightcrawler pieces? I think my fridge is too cold for my worms or something...the worms seem to be getting hard...I'm wondering if there is a way to preserve the worms better. Can't turn the fridge down. Someone mentioned coffee grinds for worms. I just have them in a little container with soil in there. I don't know if it is the fridge temp or the way I am keeping them but they seem to be drying out.

Stefan-A
01-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Not sure that I'd have to throw away a box because one of the holes cracked. It's not like the plastic doesn't hold together perfectly fine. If you're using more brittle plastic it may be different.
The plastic doesn't hold together perfectly fine anymore. Sometimes the crack extends from one hole to another, or up to the edge of the box and you do lose structural integrity. Then, with a little warping from a load or heat, and an exceptionally tenacious little snake, you may well end up with one escaping or getting itself killed. And sometimes a piece of plastic goes flying and that 2 mm hole you were drilling suddenly becomes a 2 cm hole.

infernalis
01-01-2012, 03:25 PM
That also brings up the risk of that little flying chunk of plastic landing in your eye.. Murphy's law.

kimbosaur
01-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I think my fridge is too cold for my worms or something...the worms seem to be getting hard...I'm wondering if there is a way to preserve the worms better. Can't turn the fridge down. Someone mentioned coffee grinds for worms. I just have them in a little container with soil in there. I don't know if it is the fridge temp or the way I am keeping them but they seem to be drying out.

I'm pretty sure I've actually read somewhere that it's better to keep worms in room temperature. I wouldn't know because I've never really kept worms...

On another note, I think you should save up some of your energy to worry about them when they actually get here! :D

kimbosaur
01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Nevermind, I've just figured out where I read it from and it was a kijiji ad (http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-CB-Feeders-W0QQAdIdZ333266224). Don't know if that's accurate but might be worth searching up on.

brain
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I use the largest deepest Wal-Mart Tub I can get, drill 3/16”hole (many like 1 per sq inch.) You do need to place something solid under the drilling to help prevent the cracking. The soldering iron and I do not get along. Hot tip and hot plastic drippings.
The worms I raise are the leftovers (if there are any) DMF brand. I use ground Peat dirt as the medium. I feed the peat with chicken feed turned to dust in the blender. Slight damp and it sits outside as normal worms do anyway. As it gets colder, I placed the tub in my wood shop, a bit warmer.
If you leave this worm breeder in the house, you will have so many little nats it will drive you nuts.
Change the tub by putting it in your garden about every two month or so, by this time with the size of tub I use, is now mostly worm casings and good compost.

EasternGirl
01-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Thank you. I'm just not sure where I can keep them that isn't too cold or too warm. I have a garage but it gets really cold. The only other option is in the house which is really warm.

brain
01-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Yea they can die in freezing temperatures, which is why they move up and down in the soil, thier bodies have a great deal of water hence the snakes like them :).

They will live and breed at temperatures upto about 85-90 degrees F. Ideal temperatures for growth and activity range from 60-80 degrees F. For reproduction and hatching, keep them around 60-70 degrees F.

EasternGirl
01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
So do you think I could just keep them in a container at room temperature? You said I would probably get nats though right?

snakehill
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I keep mine in the kitchen (in the dishwasher-weird I know but we don't use it) It's dark in there and we don't really heat the kitchen so it's a little cool. All I feed is coffee grinds. They are reproducing so I guess the conditions are good. Never had a gnat problem but I guess that's because they are enclosed.

EasternGirl
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm just wondering since I have such a problem with worms...when Cee Cee has her babies...is it okay for me to start the babies feeding on something else...like fish pieces? I'm going to work on getting the worms and I don't have a problem with worms when it is warmer...I can get them outside. It is much easier for me to feed fish and pinkies though.

kibakiba
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Canadian night crawlers should be kept in the fridge, regular earth worms seem to do better at room temp under/ 70 f

EasternGirl
01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
What about feeding fish or pinky parts to babies?

snakehill
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't know! The worms that I have are canadian nightcrawlers. :confused:

infernalis
01-04-2012, 09:55 AM
What about feeding fish or pinky parts to babies?

That's what I have always fed mine...

http://www.thamnophis.net/Gartersnakes/images/eat4.jpg

EasternGirl
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Is that your goulash?

tress29
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
The plastic turtle tub that I posted a pic of...could I just use that? It already has a wire mesh top built in.I would think the nice mesh top would negate the need for holes. They are drilled/melted out to provide ventilation.

EasternGirl
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah...I think I'm just going to try using the turtle terrarium I have. I got a digital postal scale today and I am going to start weighing Cee Cee today to see if she is going up in weight.