PDA

View Full Version : Snake Road LaRue Ill.

guidofatherof5
12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
It's nice to see that the welfare of the snakes is important somewhere.
_hUglM0wczk

RedSidedSPR
12-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Neat, I've read about that, i wanna go. lol

EasternGirl
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
That is so awesome. I want to go too. We have cottonmouths and timber rattlers here.

RedSidedSPR
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM
We have tons of snakes, don't do me no good cuz I don't never see any!!

EasternGirl
12-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I didn't know all the species we had around here until recently. You better believe I will be doing some serious herping come spring!

PINJOHN
12-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Steve thank you so very much for posting this film it goes way beyond the enjoyable and delightful right into the truly heartwarming.
It is so easy these days to get really down about the situation wild snakes are in and to convince yourself that they have no future at all, land encroachment.... indiscriminate killing ...lack of protection by official's... I wont list any more as most people reading this know the reasons better than me but this film gives hope that in places things are moving in the right direction, progress may be very slow but it is happening and thank god for that. thanks again Steve its given me a real lift

PINJOHN
01-01-2012, 05:55 AM
I was thinking it would be nice if i could time my visit next year to take in this event [sigh] so much to see so much to do :)

BUSHSNAKE
01-01-2012, 10:27 AM
you wanna go when the snakes are migrating. I was there in fall, late October, there was a snake every 5-10 feet it seemed

PINJOHN
01-01-2012, 11:08 AM
you wanna go when the snakes are migrating. I was there in fall, late October, there was a snake every 5-10 feet it seemed
Thanks for that Joe... you have touched on a problem for me actually i am making the trip with my wife, sister, and brother in law who are not snake people ,...in fact they are the complete opposite.... i will have to ether stay state side after they go home or make a completely new trip a little later, this would then allow me to go where i wish and meet who i want and to accomplish my dream of going garter herping and if i came across any rattler's then that would be icing on the cake..... i don't want to wish away any of my remaining life ....but.........ROLL ON 2013 :D

BUSHSNAKE
01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
heres a picture from snake road

PINJOHN
01-01-2012, 11:19 AM
heres a picture from snake road
what snake is that joe?

BUSHSNAKE
01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
western cottonmouth

PINJOHN
01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
western cottonmouth

i was loath to suggest that you were holding a venomous snake, so i thought it best to ask but if remember right, they have a reputation for a reluctance to bite or have i got that wrong?

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 12:53 PM
That is very cool...

tspuckler
01-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I went the past two years. Here's some stuff from 2011:

Red Milk
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/redmilk.jpg

Western Ribbon Snake
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/niceribbon.jpg

Rough Green
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/green2.jpg

Cottonmouth
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/chunkycotton.jpg

Diamondback Water Snake
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/diamondback2.jpg

Plainbelly Water Snake
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/Snake Road 2011/bigyellow.jpg

You can see additional pics from my Snake Road trip at this link: Third Eye - Herping Snake Road (http://www.thirdeyeherp.com/spuck/snakeroad.htm)

EasternGirl
01-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow...I wonder how long of a drive it would be from Delaware....

PINJOHN
01-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Thank you Tim for that superb report and those spectacular photo's this is one i will come back to again and again, many thanks

guidofatherof5
01-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Wow...I wonder how long of a drive it would be from Delaware....

14 hrs 50 mins / 923.14 miles approximately ;)

EasternGirl
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Not too bad if I were a bit younger...of course I would probably fall asleep at the wheel about 2 hours in these days...lol. I guess I will look into taking a bus.

jaleely
06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
That's so awesome!!! Good thing people aren't getting bitten...especially by those "poisonous" snakes lol
I like how no snake hooks are a allowed, too, but no law against taking a big hook shaped stick!!

I know i'd do it too. I'd have to try to catch some!
I don't think i'd be brave enough to hold a cottonmouth though!!!

ConcinusMan
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Not too bad if I were a bit younger...of course I would probably fall asleep at the wheel about 2 hours in these days...lol. I guess I will look into taking a bus.

In that case, it'll only take a week.:p Take a train! Often times, it's not only faster, but it's more comfortable and cheaper too.

BUSHSNAKE
02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
hey steve, old thread i know, but check out that picture i posted...thatll make you scratch your head...that snake was telling me "oh your not so bad" lol

guidofatherof5
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
hey steve, old thread i know, but check out that picture i posted...thatll make you scratch your head...that snake was telling me "oh your not so bad" lol

Free-handing a hot. Living on the edge there Joe.;):D

BUSHSNAKE
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Free-handing a hot. Living on the edge there Joe.;):D
lol, to some people it would be. I wasnt hurting her and she knew it. It was a she i checked hahahaha

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Y--..-@&&&&.

V..!!&'mmlppp

ConcinusMan
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
I used to freehand Crotalus ruber. Most of them were quite tame and as long as you handle them gently and properly, and don't back them into a corner, they don't feel threatened. It actually took quite a bit of effort and purposely teasing them, to even get them to rattle or take a defensive posture and even if you managed that, their strikes were just a bluff.

BUSHSNAKE
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I used to freehand Crotalus ruber. Most of them were quite tame and as long as you handle them gently and properly, and don't back them into a corner, they don't feel threatened. It actually took quite a bit of effort and purposely teasing them, to even get them to rattle or take a defensive posture and even if you managed that, their strikes were just a bluff.
i believe it, everytime i see "venomous" and "aggresive" in the same sentence i feel a knive go thru my heart, STILL very missunderstood animals

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Y--..-@&&&&.

V..!!&'mmlppp

!?!?!? What is this sorcery!?!

BUSHSNAKE
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
your sick, go back to sleep!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-06-2013, 10:11 PM
your sick, go back to sleep!!

I know what happened now. Brianna stole my phone earlier and she really loves to just tap tap tap away. She managed to click the Internet browser which already had the forum open and she typed and posted her very own response! Heck usually she is just uploading things to my Facebook wall :P I guess Brianna deserves a welcome to the forum now... Hahaha

ConcinusMan
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I was wondering about that. I assumed it had some meaning to you Shannon. Some secret code. LoL.

i believe it, everytime i see "venomous" and "aggresive" in the same sentence i feel a knive go thru my heart, STILL very missunderstood animals

Of course, if you're like most dopes that don't know how to handle snakes you're gonna get bit. But we know that you don't just reach down and grab. I'm talking gentle, proper handling, (loosely, no grasping/restraining) they don't mind it much. Takes a lot to piss them off, or just an idiot grasping and restraining them. Then yeah, you're gonna get bit. But as far as encounters in the field go, they just want to get away like any other snake.

Didymus20X6
02-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Parseltongue, maybe. In written form.

Also, who was playing Atari in the background of that video?