PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Herping

guidofatherof5
12-29-2011, 03:48 AM
I was awakened this morning(1am) by my daughter Molly yelling "snake" from the kitchen. I ran out there without my glasses but of course I couldn't see any snake let alone the kitchen. Once I returned with glasses on she informed me the snake went behind the trash compactor.
After pulling the fridge out (it was time for that) I removed the compactor and located this adult orange phase male radix. I didn't even know he was missing. He didn't want an drink and looks like he still has a full belly from his last feeding so I don't think he's been out very long (couple of days at the most).
Glad he's back safe and sound.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/hunt.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/hunt1.jpg

PINJOHN
12-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Steve, this is just not good enough, in all my years of snake keeping i have never heard of a keeper who was irresponsible enough to actually allow a snake to escape, totally unacceptable.
i think what might be best all round is if we had a more responsible keeper take your snakes...... now the problem is where will we find a keeper or keepers to take on the job, i think.....WHATS THAT RUMBLING NOISE?!!!!!! AND WHATS THAT HUGE CLOUD OF DUST APPROACHING!!!!!!! is it Texas longhorns is it buffalo...ITS GETTING CLOSER!!! FAST!!!!!!! ITS THAMNOPHOPIS.COM MEMBERS!!!! I AM GOING TO BE CRUSHED IN THE STAMPEDE !!!!!!!I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY BIG MOUTH SHUT :eek: AAARRRGH

snakehill
12-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Very handsome! Never knew that there was an orange phase! ;)

Light of Dae
12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
tisk tisk *Waves finger accusingly* I'll help manage some snakes for ya if you got too many kicking around your kitchen, basement etc. I (Side note my new checkered (George) just poked his out out of his shavings for the first time since putting him in his new home).. would be more then ecstatic to help you out in this multi-snake ... ordeal lol Just ship them on over!

Btw you ever considered laser eye surgery? My step-dad had it done years ago n still says it was the best thing he ever did for himself. (Plus he had the oldest, ugliest, most heaven forbid pair of glasses EVER)

chris-uk
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Good catch. Now you can quiz Mollie about why she was sneaking back into the house through the kitchen at 1am! :D

EasternGirl
12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
If anyone in my family saw a snake in our kitchen anywhere...even knowing I have snakes...I would not hear "Snake!"...I would just find a person passed out cold on the kitchen floor with a snake slithering over their body....

Glad you found him!

PINJOHN
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
If anyone in my family saw a snake in our kitchen anywhere...even knowing I have snakes...I would not hear "Snake!"...I would just find a person passed out cold on the kitchen floor with a snake slithering over their body....

Glad you found him!

I have the same problem Marnie i am the only snake person in the house, my youngest son is over six foot four but screams like a schoolgirl if i take a snake out of a viv while he is in the room the only interest shown to any of my little slithery friends by them is to kenzo but they still prefer a sheet of glass between them even with kenzo

RedSidedSPR
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Unbelievable.

EasternGirl
12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I have the same problem Marnie i am the only snake person in the house, my youngest son is over six foot four but screams like a schoolgirl if i take a snake out of a viv while he is in the room the only interest shown to any of my little slithery friends by them is to kenzo but they still prefer a sheet of glass between them even with kenzo Now..if you could get a video of that...I would love to see it! Your huge son screaming like a schoolgirl! Lol....

guidofatherof5
12-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Now..if you could get a video of that...I would love to see it! Your huge son screaming like a schoolgirl! Lol....

You read my mind Marnie. :D

Mommy2many
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Another awesome rescue of the refrigerator! (and trash compactor) Perhaps they have sent scouts out to bring back the food themselves? Looks like you'll need to be doing a lockdown of the kitchen!

Glad to see all are safe :)

EasternGirl
12-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Ha ha...yeah, that's funny...didn't think about that...the snakes have decided to send one of their own to go to the kitchen each night to round up food and bring it back for all the others. They have been gobbling it down before you wake up, Steve. Normally the snake who goes to the kitchen makes it back before you catch him...but he just couldn't make it back this time! Lol....

d_virginiana
12-30-2011, 11:04 PM
In my house... Well, in my five-cat house, I don't expect to ever find a snake just wandering around. :p
But my family is the same way. They won't *kill* a snake if it ends up in the house or on the porch, but with all the protective gear they put on before dealing with one, you'd think a HazMat team was going to work on a nuclear disaster. Then they slowly manage to use about twelve garden tools to coax the snake back into the wild... Twelve whole feet from the house.

EasternGirl
12-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Ha ha...that's funny. I don't think anyone in my house would even attempt to catch a snake. They would just scream for me. But like you said...in my house, with 3 cats and a crazy chihuahua...I do everything to make sure the snakes do not escape because the other animals would surely go after the snakes.

snakehill
12-31-2011, 08:21 AM
I have three cats and my baby corn that recently escaped didn't have a mark on him! My cat Cody just sat there and looked at him while he was on the floor while the other two ignored him!! :p

EasternGirl
12-31-2011, 09:58 AM
My rescue cat who lived outside...the one who I thought may actual try to eat a snake...walked past me while I was holding my baby albino yesterday and she was afraid of him...lol. But I know my chihuahua would try to eat him. Now...my big eastern, Cee Cee can fend for herself...my one mean cat is the one who found her and she struck at him several times when he cornered her outside. Made him jump backward! But my little snakes worry me...with the cats and the crazy chihuahua.

PINJOHN
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I have the same problem Marnie i am the only snake person in the house, my youngest son is over six foot four but screams like a schoolgirl if i take a snake out of a viv while he is in the room the only interest shown to any of my little slithery friends by them is to kenzo but they still prefer a sheet of glass between them even with kenzohttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378467_10150530496798470_514673469_8900102_8963664 76_n.jpg

this is the son i referred to he is on vacation in Thailand, screams like a girl at snakes yet he steps into the ring to try Thai boxing.... kids who can understand them

guidofatherof5
01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I thought I'd make a joke about how he look just like you John but I decided against it.:D

EasternGirl
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
He looks like he could go a round or two with those snakes...tell him I said to just put on his boxing gear when he sees a snake...then he can scream like a girl while he looks real tough!

chris-uk
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
You've not actually met John have you? I couldn't see John in boxing gloves and shorts.

I wouldn't want to see John in boxing gloves and shorts... <shudder>