PDA

View Full Version : Checkered & a Flame...how much?

jaleely
12-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Still learning here...but about how much is a checkered garter? I guess...Thamnophis marcianus ... and does it always have the dot on the head, or are there subspecies or morphs or something that don't? I'm sure there are, but this should be a normal, regular, reasonably priced snake, right? And what about the erythristic flame? that is the darker red color, correct? darker or brighter, i mean. How much would one of those run? Could they be housed together or am i looking at a significant size difference? I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the garter snakes out there! It's hard to tell if they are totally different species or morphs or what. Really,i actually like the checkered and those are pretty normal, right? lol.

infernalis
12-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Checkered garters can be as little as $20 up to about $50, They are common in the pet market. the dot on the head is a normal marking.

Ery/Flames on the other hand $75 and up depending on how bright the reds are at birth.

guidofatherof5
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the garter snakes out there! It's hard to tell if they are totally different species or morphs or what.

The variety is one of the great things about garter snakes. It may seem overwhelming at this point but it won't always be that way.
Hang in there.
Not sure if you've seen this species list. ;)

Main Page - Caresheets

(http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Main_Page)

kimbosaur
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Ouch. I ended up paying $79.09 ($69.99 + tax) for my normal checkered...and that's because the other store was selling them for $100. I think one of you breeders should find a way to export to Canada soon. You could quadruple your sale price.

chris-uk
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Checkereds are probably the most common garter in the UK too, here they sell for anything from £20 from a breeder to £40-50 in shops (our albino cost us £42, our normal checkereds were considerably less than that - thanks Pinjohn :) ).
I love our normal checkereds, one in particular is extremely active and a real character. You won't be disappointed when you get your checkered.

EasternGirl
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I would go to Jason for those of you in the U.S. then...because I paid less than that for my albino checkered with shipping. And he is a beautiful snake! Very healthy. Highly recommend Jason...don't know if he has any regular checkereds though.

RedSidedSPR
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
My checkered was $10. Flames are much more. Usually $100 +

tress29
12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Highly recommend Jason...don't know if he has any regular checkereds though.Nope, he's all out for the year, or I'd have four garters.

ConcinusMan
12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Prices can fluctuate wildly from year to year, depending on supply/demand of particular species/morphs. So many albino and normal checkereds (thamnophis marcianus) are produced every year that they are pretty cheap. This year, so many ablinos were produced, that they were free on up to about $15 for babies. Price also depends on size/age, proven/unproven breeder, etc. Flames (a specific color morph of eastern garter, T. sirtalis sirtalis) are cheapest as babies because they tend to get more colorful as they age, and it's a gamble as to which babies will become stunning adults, or just average. Flames are as a general rule, one of the more expensive garters out there, sometimes going for hundreds of dollars, depending on color.

Some years, high supply of a particular morph, combined with low demand, causes prices to drop, but the opposite also occurs. Checkereds (albino and normals) are usually consistently low. Pastel and granite morph checkereds are quite a bit higher, as they are produced in low numbers and demand is high.

As to the confusion, there are different species/subspecies of garters. Each species may or may not have different color morphs. There was a page here that showed species and had pictures of the different morphs of that species, such as albino, melanistic, flame, etc. I can't seem to find it now that the site has been redesigned. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Where is it?

jaleely
03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey guys! I haven't posted much because i feel weird about posting when i don't have any of the snakes everyone is posting about! lol I have a pretty full house right now at 14 snakes. I'm planning to do a couple tank upgrades, and some shelving. I really don't want to use racks...i'd like to keep everyone in tanks and set them up as bioactive. Once i take care of the hoard i have now, a couple garter snakes are still on my want list. 2 more lil snakes in one enclosure won't kill me....yet...lol

SO...who is this Jason who sells garters? I have never orderd snakes online, and though i knew a few people i'd like to ask if they have any available, i am just not comfortable shipping them. The weather is not acceptable, especially now! I know it's freezing and raining outside as i type. SO, anyway my point is i'm in So. Cal. and i don't mind traveling a tiny bit to pick out snakes. I went to the Pamona show in Jan and NO one was selling garters and everyone told me they weren't popular enough to be sold at the show! RUDE!

guidofatherof5
03-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Jason- View Profile: Chondro788 - Garter Snake Forum (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/chondro788.html)

You could also go to the classified section and start a "Wanted" ad.
In it you could specify your location and wish do do business with local breeders.
Also keep in mind that Spring is an awesome time to have snakes shipped.
Most breeders do overnight shipping so the risks are much lower.

EasternGirl
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I have two snakes from Jason and I can tell you that he is a great guy and has very nice snakes. I have an albino checkered that I got from him. He also knows exactly what he is doing when it comes to shipping snakes. Hermes was shipped to me in November and my other snake, Possum, that I got from him was shipped to me in the beginning of March and they both did fine getting here. He ships overnight. Jason will not ship unless the weather is right for shipping.

Selkielass
03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
$10 for normals $20 albino checkered babies at michigan show in summer. Larger snakes at pet stores were $40 to over100. (Normal eastern and assorted Checkered.) Butlers $15-20 in pet stores when they turn up. (Same as small eastern)

RicMartin
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Jaleely, I'm in SoCal, in P.S., and I hope to have garters for sale in a month or two. One can never be sure, though, if the scrubs will materialize. Last year they got reabsorbed, but this year I have several adult females, not just one, so I hope some of my babies will make me a happy GrandPa.

My garters are all T. radix, Plains garters. They come in many colors. I've been salivating about the flames, and others, but my silly self-control has not taken a nap yet. Anytime now.

I've been told that there are T. marcianus in the springs here, (we do have frogs!) which would be great for new bloodlines, since their captive lines seem to be getting a bit abused, at least for albinos. I have not been able to do any herping since I moved here, though, and I'm not very mobile right now. Maybe next year.

Jason, Scott, Jeff, and many other great stablished breeders, as well as new breeders, will be posting here in the classified section within a month or two, when baby garters start to arrive. They know how to ship, and when not to ship. There are very few garters for sale the rest of the year.

I hope that helps some.

ConcinusMan
04-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I've been told that there are T. marcianus in the springs here, (we do have frogs!) which would be great for new bloodlines, since their captive lines seem to be getting a bit abused, at least for albinos. I have not been able to do any herping since I moved here, though, and I'm not very mobile right now. Maybe next year.

Hey Ric, although I'm currently at the south end of the Puget Sound in WA state, I too moved to SoCal (near Victorville) back in Sept. I also used to live in San Diego as a teen. And yes, there are T. marcianus' there. There's a small but struggling population in east San Diego county that I've seen personally. I'm told that there are also isolated populations in Riverside and Imperial counties but garter snakes specifically (any species, although marcianus is the only garter there), are strictly protected in those counties. The game officers know the spots and patrol them since there's fishing waters around, and do enforce the no-take rules. CA state law mentions that garter snakes (specifically, Thamnophis) are not to be taken from those counties. (and a few other counties) :( Seems this little snag was intended specifically to protect California's checkered garters. Be careful. The only sites where they can be found are recreational areas that are fairly heavily patrolled.