PDA

View Full Version : Thamnophis.com made the top 40

Jeff B
12-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Did anyone see that Thamnophis.com made the top 40 forums, ranked at #33, in an article titled "Vitual Communities" in the latest issue of the magazine called Herp Nation Magazine? In addition Thamnophis.com ranked #1 in the Quality Index in the Snake Specific catagory; pretty impressive considering second was reptileradio.net, redtailboas.net 3rd, cornsnakes.com 4th, redtailboas.com 5th, ballpython.net 6th, reptileinsider.net 7th, moreliapythons.com 8th, and constrictors.com 9th.
The top 40 was based on thread count and post count.
The Quality Index = quoting from the articles definition "is determined by dividing a virtual community's total posts by the number of threads. Thriving communities should have thriving conversations with multiple people joining in pleasant communication, discussion, and sometimes debate. This leads to long-running threads, relevant topics, and vast input." They went on to say that "a very high quality index could also indicate undertones of contentious behavior among it's membership, or it could simply indicate that the site hosts long running quality debates, you decide." There was no authorship sited or I would include that here, so I assume the editors were behind the article.
Thanmophis.com had a score of 22.6 which was the highest quality index score among all groups, and believe me folks this is pretty impressive considering the big "heavy hitters" forums that Thamnophis.com was in company with in this evaluation, not to mention the sheer numbers of reptile related forums in existence today.
I would say that overall this should be looked at as a great honor and recognition for everyone who participates in the Thamnophis.com community, it is a great big beautiful feather in our caps and you should all appluad yourselves. In addition all of us casual participants like myself, owe a "big thank you" to the people who actually do real work to keep this forum going, for the opportunity to come here and share information and fellowship. Cheers

FYI-Herp Nation Magazine is a relatively new magazine that started up a little over a year ago, and I have subscribed since the inaugural issue and have very much enjoyed reading it. This magazine is less centered around "the hobby", and more focused on field herping, advanced herpetological husbandry and field research, and conservation. It only publishes 6 issues per year, but is quality first. I highly recommend it and to subscribe you can go to HerpNation.com and follow the subscribe link.

infernalis
12-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Any mention of ssnakess.com??

Jeff B
12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
ssnakes ranked #14 in the top 40 and was #6 in the General catagory of the Quality Index, with a score of 9.7

tress29
12-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool!

infernalis
12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
ssnakes ranked #14 in the top 40 and was #6 in the General catagory of the Quality Index, with a score of 9.7

That's awesome man!! woo hoo.

so two of Jason's sites made it.

EasternGirl
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Woo hoo! Congrats to all of us!!!

Btw...what are some good hobbyist mags?

katach
12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
That is fantastic! Way to go Jason and everyone here!

guidofatherof5
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Credit to all and of course the reason it happened THAMNOPHIS.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Clapping.gif

EasternGirl
12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Can someone post a link to the article?

infernalis
12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
You have to buy the magazine ;)

mb90078
12-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I would consider myself to be a "message board veteran", with over 11 years of experience as a frequent poster, lurker, and moderator at a wide range of boards (including one of the top 5 largest forums of any type on the internet), I've always thought that this was a pretty strong community here. Not the most active message board on the web, got a couple quirky rules, but a good group of people with interesting discussion ranging from casual to informative, to (in a good way--ie usually not crossing the line) argumentative.

Thanks for pointing out this article though, Jeff. I find it very intresting.

chris-uk
12-10-2011, 02:31 AM
well done.
Of course the boa and python people will look at that and say "its a thriving community because all those noobs keeping those begginer snakes need to ask for a lot of help". :)

PINJOHN
12-10-2011, 04:04 AM
What a pleasant surprise thanks Jeff for the low down,....well done everyone and a big thank you to our moderators, that news has given me a smile as large as the one on the face at the end of this sentence :D

Jeff B
12-10-2011, 05:21 AM
I personally subscribe to Reptiles Magazine, Practical Reptile Keeping, and Herp Nation.
Reptiles Magazine has been around for ever and is a staple for the hobby.
Herp Nation-already pointed out what it is about.
The Practical Reptile Keeping is a UK published magazine, it is a bit expensive to get here in the US but worth every penny. I won't take favorites here, but this is a great magazine, all three magazines are great and all three have a slightly different flavor.
I would also like to add that you can receive the Bush League Breeders Club Monthly Newsletter for free and it will be emailed to you to open the link and/or dowload if you choose. There are a lot of great articles without all the advertisements and I happen to be on the Newsletter committee.

Woo hoo! Congrats to all of us!!!

Btw...what are some good hobbyist mags?

indigoman
12-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks Jeff for bringing this to light, and congratulations to the forum! No matter what the rankings i enjoy and learn so much from from the people on this forum who share a love of these snakes as i have for many years.It has also forced, me to try and become able to use a computer which my family gets a kick out of!

Mommy2many
12-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Congratulations to all who have made this possible!

Stefan-A
12-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Neat.

RedSidedSPR
12-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Well that's pretty awesome!:D

guidofatherof5
12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I would love to a fly on the wall when some of those other websites see Thamnophis.com pulled a #1 ranking.
Most of them will have to look-up the word Thamnophis.
Then they be shocked to see it's about garter snakes.
The lowly garter snake kick some butt.

EasternGirl
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Tee hee...so true, so true.

Jeff B
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I would love to a fly on the wall when some of those other websites see Thamnophis.com pulled a #1 ranking.

Agreed, and there will be some people from other forums checking this site out as a result, which is good for the site and good for the snakes, lest we forget it's all about the garter snakes, right Steve?

EasternGirl
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
My snakes said they were very excited to hear the news :D.

Jeff B
12-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Now that's funny:D

guidofatherof5
12-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Agreed, and there will be some people from other forums checking this site out as a result, which is good for the site and good for the snakes, lest we forget it's all about the garter snakes, right Steve?

No doubt about it Jeff.;)

No disrespect intended to anyone. :)

ConcinusMan
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing!

They would probably clap their hands in applause if they had any.:p

RicMartin
01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Congrats to everyone, specially all the scrubs!

mustang
09-22-2012, 08:58 PM
WAHOOO!!!!!!!! ...nah better not jump p and down with the sprain... Thats amazing :D

snake man12
10-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Congrats to us!

Buck
10-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Yay! :)

Boots
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
I am going to close this thread now, but if anyone has a copy of the magazine that they would be interested in selling or knows where I could find a copy. Please PM me. I have always wanted to read the article, but they were sold out.

Jason

Update - Thanks to guidofatherof5 for pointing out where I could get a copy.