PDA

View Full Version : Heating question...

EasternGirl
12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I need an option for additional heat in Cee Cee's tank. Since I put her tank on the new shelves, it is very close to the floor and it is staying quite cool inside even with her UTH. Her tank has to be on the bottom shelf because it is the heaviest tank...and we have wood floors in my house so it can get cold near the floor. I can't get a lamp on top of her tank with the height of her tank and the shelving. They don't make any kind of long bulbs that fit into flourescent hoods that emit heat do they? What about heat cables? Are they safe? I need to heat up the tank overall really. The temp is only registering at 71. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

chris-uk
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Some insulation between floor and tank?
I think Steve uses heat cable, I havent used it but I think if it is used with a stat its no different to a heat mat. If you cant get a lamp on top could you get one just to one side? Although with heat cable you could use more to deliver more heat than you would get from the same surface area of mat, and if the cold side is too cold maybe even run a strand across the cold side (I'd be cautious about that though).
Other ideas... ceramic lamp to the side; florescent strips throw out some heat but probably not enough; a ceramic fan heater blowing at the tank; raise thtr ambient temp of the room (from what you said in the past its an old house though, so probably not economical).
Hope this gives some ideas.

angrygamer
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM
There are reptile lights for florescent hoods, they are called T5 bulbs. They give off light and heat for basking. I don't know what you'd do at night, though. I am looking for bulb like that except I just want a red one.

EasternGirl
12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks you guys. I was thinking about the heat cables...I just didn't know how safe they are. The T5 bulbs would work...because I use a flourescent light for her (I just can't fit the dome lights in the shelves) but she really likes to bask and I wanted some heat...I'm going to look into that. Are the heat cables safe? Can she burn herself on those?

EasternGirl
12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I just found a hood fixture that will fit over her tank on the shelf and you can put bulb lights in the fixture...so I can put her basking bulbs and red night bulb in it...ordered it online. Thanks for the suggestions!