PDA

View Full Version : Sup, from the PNW

arborealboids
05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi All,
My name is Mark Leppin, I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and I mainly herp for garters but do get some from time to time. Like a lot of us, I started out catching garters (or for some nerodia, or natrix) and keeping a few as pets. I've mainly made my way into keeping exotics like boas and pythons mainly. I do currently have (other than boids); Namibian House Snake (L. mentalis), East African Egg-eaters (D. medici), Sonoran Gopher Snakes (P. c. affinis), Black Pine Snakes (P. melanoleucas), Brown Water Snake (N. taxispilota), Northwestern Garter Snake (T. ordinoides).
Boids wise: lot of; Carpet Pythons (coastal + jungle), Children's Pythons, Spotted Pythons, yellow anacondas, amazon tree boas, colombian rainbow boas, rubber boas.
But that's about all the slithery legless pets.
Sincerely,
Mark

adamanteus
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi mark, and welcome to the forum. That's quite a collection you have there.

Thamnophis
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Mark, welcome here. Indeed an impressive collection.

Stefan-A
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome aboard, Mark.

Odie
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi, from Hillsboro, Mark :)

mikm
05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey there Mark ... welcome !!

Snaky
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome from Belgium, enjoy it here!

garterchick
05-24-2007, 02:10 PM
hi from austin, tx
tina

ScimitarX
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Hiya. really nice collection you have there.

adamanteus
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Mark, how do you feed your Dasypeltis medici?

drache
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Mark
nice to meet you
and your amazing collection

arborealboids
05-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Mark, how do you feed your Dasypeltis medici?
How in what way, like feeding techniques? I feed them finch (society), dove (ringneck), or pigeon (birmingham roller), right now they are feeding on pigeon eggs, as I need to start breeding finches again. Depending on them, the may take it soon after I put them in the feeding container or take hours, darkness, or put in cage overnight. I put a little moss (hide & so they egg doesn't roll) and feathers (scent) around the egg/s, and that seems to do the trick.
East African Egg-eaters (D. medici) are cool little snakes but unlike most dasypeltis they don't eat quail eggs but there have been a few reports of adults taking quail eggs. One of the coolest things about these snakes is their scales, they are more keeled than any other snake i've seen (or felt in this case).
Let me know if there are any more questions, specifics, etc I can try my best to answer.
Sincerely,
Mark

adamanteus
05-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi Mark, What I meant was, how do you locate enough eggs, but you've answered that already. I have kept Dasypeltis scabra in the past (for a short period), and I did struggle to get a regular supply of finch eggs.

For heavily keeled scales check out Atheris!

drache
05-26-2007, 03:36 AM
nice to meet you Mark
quite a collection you have there

Cazador
05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Mark,

It's nice to have you join the forum. I could almost hear James (Adamanteus) drooling as you listed off the species currently in your collection. :D You're kindred spirits, I think. Hope you enjoy our little corner of the internet, and will offer your advise often. Cheers,

Rick

arborealboids
05-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm sure I'll enjoy the forum.
James, usually finding a finch (or other bird) keeper/breeder that is willing to sell eggs or in some cases with finch keepers, they may just give you the eggs (this is usually when they like having a lot of finches but don't want any more). Yahoo! Groups has a Dasypeltis info group
Egg-Eater : Egg Eating Snakes/Dasypeltis (http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Egg-Eater/)
This is the site I used to get started with egg-eaters and a nice little resourceful site.
Sincerely,
Mark

adamanteus
05-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for that link Mark. I'll check it out later. I don't have any Dasypeltis at the moment, haven't had for years, but I'll still be interested.