PDA

View Full Version : Boy meets snake!

tress29
12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
The boys finally got back from their dad's house (fall break.) BJ acted a little disgusted that I bought more snakes, after we just sold the BP. I told him I sold the ball to make room for the garters. I hed been torn between the two species and obviously decided wrong! We never saw the darn thing and both boys were a little afraid of it.

Anyway, after they helped me unload a 75 gallon tank/stand from the back of my car, Terry wanted to see all of them. The radix was out prowling, and he was suprised to see how big he is compared to the coast. The I moved the hide and showed him the eastern. That little erythristic boy is already his favorite. It has some head/neck control issues, but that just endears him to us that much more.

I told them my idea of naming them after interns from the show Bones, Bj said "Really, Mom?" He thinks I'm quite silly about my pets. (And I guess I am!) I have no idea what we'll end up naming them, but I'll update you when we do. The best part of Terry liking the snakes? He can hold them for me so I can take pictures!

infernalis
12-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Congratulations..... Thams are a lot more interesting than a BP ever could be. (However I am biased)

EasternGirl
12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Oh definitely...garters have so much more personality than pythons...not that I don't like pythons...I love all snakies...but I love my garters the mostest! And as for naming them after Bones characters, Seely and I would have to back you on that one;).

snakehill
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Depends on the python. Carpet Pythons are pretty cool! Ball Pythons are boring IMO! My friend keeps trying to give her son's BP to me! No thanks! :p

EasternGirl
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Hmmm...never heard of a carpet python. Of course I don't really know all of the different types. I know ball and reticulated.

snakehill
12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Tress! Glad you decided to get the 75 gallon tank and stand! That was a good deal! :)

chris-uk
12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Hmmm...never heard of a carpet python. Of course I don't really know all of the different types. I know ball and reticulated.
And that's before you get on to all the python morphs. I don't know if you can buy a plain, as it is in the wild, python anymore. Although it seems to be royals that are most commonly morphed in the UK.

EasternGirl
12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow...didn't know they had python morphs either...you learn something new every day.

tress29
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow...didn't know they had python morphs either...

Only 40 or so! It seems every year there is a new one, or six!

Glad you decided to get the 75 gallon tank and stand! That was a good deal! :)

The screen lid's not gonna work as is. He used clamp lights for his iguana, and cut the screen in three places to allow them to clamp onto the glass. I'm gonna look at options to patch/cover the screen before I ditch it though. I'm sure it can be modified much cheaper than replaced. It's sitting (empty) behind the 20L for now. It looks absolutely huge!

I can't imagine putting the little guys in it until a) they get bigger and are more easily located, b) they are eating for me regularly, and c) I have a stool! I can barely reach all the way to the bottom of the tank, so there's no way I could catch the little buggers!

I read through several threads where folks laid the tanks down and made a front access panel. I don't know if it's been successfully done with something that big. A tank sitting upright has the black trim around all 4 sides. If it was laid down, it would only be supported on the ends. Would you need to layer something along the new "base" to fill the gap between the glass and the stand? I guess I'd be worried about it cracking. Besides being much easier to access, it would also increase floor space by 144 square inches. I'm gonna research the forums where I've seen write ups and post something in Enclosures later.

RedSidedSPR
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
(However I am biased)

That doesn't change the fact that you're so right.

infernalis
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Depends on the python. Carpet Pythons are pretty cool! Ball Pythons are boring IMO! My friend keeps trying to give her son's BP to me! No thanks! :p

Ball Pythons are boring, Ours hides all day, when I feed him, a head pops out, grabs the rat and retracts back under the hide.

tress29
12-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Well, somebody shed last night! I didn't even know anyone was in blue...

EasternGirl
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Someone should look particularly shiny. You didn't notice anyone's eyes cloud over?

PINJOHN
12-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Wow...didn't know they had python morphs either...you learn something new every day.

Marnie we need to increase your overall herp knowledge :confused: so with that in mind, when xmas is out of the way i will bundle up a couple of herp magazines and get them off to you.
I have a subscription to practical reptile keeping and have a number of back issues laying about the place so if i can't help you with the eastenders problem then you can spend the time reading up on gecko's, newts frogs etc etc , ........a much better way to use you leisure time.............eastenders :confused: bloody strange woman

EasternGirl
12-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Lol...John...I was actually thinking about getting some subscriptions to some of the magazines that have recently been recommended to me.

tress29
12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Someone should look particularly shiny. You didn't notice anyone's eyes cloud over?
I don't see the radix a lot, unless I go looking for him, so he might be the culprit! I was pretty busy this weekend, so not much snake hugging going on. I'll give everyone a "look see" tonight when I clean their water dish.

BTW, last night I chopped up two pinkies and a pinky sized piece of tilapia. It was all gone when I took the dish out this morning!

guidofatherof5
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
BTW, last night I chopped up two pinkies and a pinky sized piece of tilapia. It was all gone when I took the dish out this morning!

That's good. Someone is getting a good meal.

EasternGirl
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Good to hear....someone was hungry!

tress29
12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
The boys like the idea of naming the garters after the interns! We haven't talked about who is who yet! BJ helped me take pics of two of them.

The eastern:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/garters027.jpg

And the radix:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/garters031.jpg

I can't hardly tell the radix and the coast apart. They both have the yellow dorsal strip, black spotted pattern, then a lower greyish stripe. Both have a blue grey belly and a dot on their head, but the radix's is larger. He is bigger than the coast right now, too. I sure hope the coast gets a red stripe like Jason's older ones, otherwise, I'll be hard pressed to differentiate when they are closer in size!

P.S. See the big 75 gallon behind the 20 long? TeeHee!

EasternGirl
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Oh I didn't realize they were so little still! How adorable! Glad you are going to name them after the squinterns!

tress29
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Decided to feed everyone last night, before we headed to see family in Michigan. The hognose refused to eat, but the garters sure did! I cut up two pinkies and a chunk of fish. The coast ate two pieces of pinky while I was holding him, and the radix ate a piece from the tongs! By the time we left, there were only 4 bits of fish left!

EasternGirl
12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Good deal Tress! Sorry your hognose wouldn't eat. Great that you got the coast to eat while you held him and the radix to eat from tongs!

tress29
12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Last night was worm night! I saw someone skitter away from the dish when I let the dogs out, so I decided to sit and wait. The little eastern came back and ate two more bites of worm. The last was bigger than his head. I'm just relieved to see firsthand evidence that he's eating.

guidofatherof5
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
That's very good news Theresa.

EasternGirl
12-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah...good to hear!

jaleely
12-21-2011, 01:01 AM
infernalis/wayne i find it hard to believe you have a boring snake *lol* your animals are always active! How big is the enclosure for your ball, and how big is your ball? I have one scared ball that hides all the time, who is recovering from dehydration and malnutrition. But, i also suspect that it is cold, since i need a bigger UTH for it, and it also can't see very well. The other three balls roam. Our one adoptee is a little over 4 feet, and is in a 60gal tank. He used to hide all the time...but one day he just decided we were "okay" and now he roams every night, poses on branches, sleeps on his slate, and never ever goes into his hide. The other two are always out and about or at least out, also.

I really need to get a garter to see the activity difference. It's an experiment, right? hehe

tress29 i can't wait for pics!

tress29
12-21-2011, 07:47 AM
tress29 i can't wait for pics!I need to take some new ones, someone else shed! I found it this morning. I think it was the coast garter thhis time.

EasternGirl
12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Cool! I'm still waiting for Hermes to shed.