PDA

View Full Version : the baby i caught last week isn't eating?

FitnessFreak
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
it's been 6 days and he still hasn't eaten... hes really small and skinny and just a baby so im really worried...

i tried a worm 2 days ago which didnt work, so i tried feeder guppies yesterday and today and he doesnt seem interested at all??

edit : should i try putting the worm/fish in his mouth to get him going? i'm really confused...

CrazyHedgehog
05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I bought some albino garters a few weeks ago, and they didn't seem to eat for the first week 10 days..
I just kept offering without hasseling them...then I tried a small trout bit in a pair of tweezers.. they went mad for that and then just started eating from the dish, have been fine since..sometimes they just need to 'chill' for a bit and get used to their new home.
keep trying, try tiny cut up bits of fish..

FitnessFreak
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I bought some albino garters a few weeks ago, and they didn't seem to eat for the first week 10 days..
I just kept offering without hasseling them...then I tried a small trout bit in a pair of tweezers.. they went mad for that and then just started eating from the dish, have been fine since..sometimes they just need to 'chill' for a bit and get used to their new home.
keep trying, try tiny cut up bits of fish..
o.. when mine is in its hide i usually take it out and put the fish infront of him so he notices it and knows its there...maybe that is why=\

i just want him to be healthy you know?

KITKAT
05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
it's been 6 days and he still hasn't eaten... hes really small and skinny and just a baby so im really worried...

i tried a worm 2 days ago which didnt work, so i tried feeder guppies yesterday and today and he doesnt seem interested at all??

edit : should i try putting the worm/fish in his mouth to get him going? i'm really confused...

Putting food items in the mouth without making sure they go on down, can smother your snake, as the breathing hole is in the bottom of his mouth.

If this were my snake, I would try getting bait store minnows or Rosey reds, and freeze them. I suggest this because bait store minnows have a very strong scent, and roseys come second... while guppies do not have as much scent. I had 20 T sirtalis babies a few years ago, and the ones that were picky eaters would not eat worms or guppies.

After the minnows or roseys have been frozen for 24 hours, take one out and thaw it in warm water. When it is flexible and not overly cold to touch, take it out and gently blot it on a paper towel. Then... ewww! :eek: ... take an old pair of scissors and cut it into pieces that are a suitable size for a very small snake. Make sure the spine and rib bones are not poking out of the pieces. Save the guts seperately.

Get something that is totally flat, like the lid of a margarine tub. Using the "guts", mix the fluid from the guts with a little cold water, and sprinkle a little of the scented water on the lid so the fish will stay moist and have a stronger odor.

Lay the lid in front of the baby, but not too close. His tongue should start waving in the air as he catches the scent.

I have rarely failed to get small babies to eat in this way.

FitnessFreak
05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
ok, so i cut a minnow/rosey red into 3 pieces and take the guys out and put it on a lid or w/e and place it in the babys cage?

Putting food items in the mouth without making sure they go on down, can smother your snake, as the breathing hole is in the bottom of his mouth.

If this were my snake, I would try getting bait store minnows or Rosey reds, and freeze them. I suggest this because bait store minnows have a very strong scent, and roseys come second... while guppies do not have as much scent. I had 20 T sirtalis babies a few years ago, and the ones that were picky eaters would not eat worms or guppies.

After the minnows or roseys have been frozen for 24 hours, take one out and thaw it in warm water. When it is flexible and not overly cold to touch, take it out and gently blot it on a paper towel. Then... ewww! :eek: ... take an old pair of scissors and cut it into pieces that are a suitable size for a very small snake. Make sure the spine and rib bones are not poking out of the pieces. Save the guts seperately.

Get something that is totally flat, like the lid of a margarine tub. Using the "guts", mix the fluid from the guts with a little cold water, and sprinkle a little of the scented water on the lid so the fish will stay moist and have a stronger odor.

Lay the lid in front of the baby, but not too close. His tongue should start waving in the air as he catches the scent.

I have rarely failed to get small babies to eat in this way.

KITKAT
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
ok, so i cut a minnow/rosey red into 3 pieces and take the guys out and put it on a lid or w/e and place it in the babys cage?

1. Cut the rosey into three pieces (or four) and remove the guts, setting them aside on something plastic, such as a plastic bag.
2. Place a few drops of water and some of the "juice" from the guts onto the lid, making a shallow "puddle" of water and "gut juice".
3. Place the rosey pieces in the midst of the puddle.
4. Throw away the left over guts.
5. Put the lid with the water, the "gut juice" and the pieces, into the cage.

Clear as mud?:rolleyes:

FitnessFreak
05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
ok ty, can i use fat head feeder guppies? theres no rosey's anywhere i called like 9 shops..

1. Cut the rosey into three pieces (or four) and remove the guts, setting them aside on something plastic, such as a plastic bag.
2. Place a few drops of water and some of the "juice" from the guts onto the lid, making a shallow "puddle" of water and "gut juice".
3. Place the rosey pieces in the midst of the puddle.
4. Throw away the left over guts.
5. Put the lid with the water, the "gut juice" and the pieces, into the cage.

Clear as mud?:rolleyes:

drache
05-24-2007, 06:29 AM
ok ty, can i use fat head feeder guppies? theres no rosey's anywhere i called like 9 shops..

try asking for minnows - they may not know them as rosies

GGarter
05-24-2007, 07:31 AM
I believe rosie reds and fathead minnows to be the same species, just with different pigmentation.....

mikm
05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Very nice, detailed feeding info you all provided ... nice job by all :p :p ...