PDA

View Full Version : Lump appeared suddenly

danib60
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum. I have a Garter snake of unknown sex that was wild caught almost six years ago. Has been healthy and growing nicely. Sheds in one complete piece. It's got to be over two feet long now. This past week we suddenly noticed a large lump on the snakes side, at the area of the cloaca. I thought maybe a wood chip or something had been ingested and gotten stuck. I truly don't know what it is. Someone suggested to me that I give it a washing in a mild solution of listerine and water, to disinfect it. It doesn't seem to be a tick or mite. We've never had either of those. It seems to be under the skin. I'm having trouble attaching a picture.
Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated...
~ Danielle

Cazador
05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Older snakes are more susceptible to fecoliths and cloacoliths. A warm bath (~90F) sometimes promotes defecation, and applying mineral oil can help to dissolve cloacoliths. After you've posted your pictures, we can probably make a better assessment, though. Talk to you soon,

Rick

danib60
05-22-2007, 07:54 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z185/danib60/IMG_7210.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z185/danib60/IMG_7209.jpg

Cazador
05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Yikes. That's no fecolith... looks more like an infection that'll need antibiotic treatment. Given how quickly it appeared, though, at least it doesn't sound like a tumor. My recommendation would be a vet visit, but I realize that it's an "older" snake. You don't see any evidence of external puncture or scarring, do you?

Rick

danib60
05-23-2007, 05:21 AM
None that I can see, but he's not overly friendly so I would have to catch him to examine it more closely. His appetite and behavior don't seem to be affected, luckily. I will give him the disinfectant rinse, like someone suggested to me, and see if I can get a closer look/photo. I'm trying to feed him more because we're going away over the holiday. The problem is the only vet I know of around here is very expensive. Then again, all vets around here are. I'm on Long Island. But that's probably to pay for all the flat screen apples in every exam room, and the huge flat sceen TV in the waiting room...(sigh)...
Do you know of any directories where I might find a local vet/herpetologist? Maybe I can find one to just give me a quick look/see.

drache
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Darcy
if you live in Long Island, NY, I imagine you have a car
If you're not to far out on the Island, go to Howard Beach Animal Clinic - Dr Feinsod - very reasonable and he loves Garters
They're on Cross Bay Blvd 718-848-6803.
make sure you call - he's not there every day
If you can at all make it there, he should be your vet.
I go to him from Brooklyn and I don't even have a car.
Please keep me posted

danib60
05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks Rhea,
I am out in Suffolk County (a bit too far to head into Howard Beach). If I have to, I will go to the expensive vet near me. I might not be able to get there before next week, though. I'll post again and let you know what happens...
~ Dani

adamanteus
05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
That's a nasty looking lump, Dani. Good luck. By the way, welcome to the forum.

drache
05-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Sorry Dani - got your name wrong in the last post
I guess you are quite a bit out on the Island
are you a member of the LIHS?
they may have more local resources info

Snaky
05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Looks indeed pretty nasty. If you don't see any progress with the disinfectant rinse in a few day, I'd go and see a vet. Hope it'll gow well and you'll be able to post good news.

Welcome to the forum.