PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing some forum rules?

chris-uk
11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I've started two threads now in the Garter Snake Lounge, both valid chit chat topics. Both times the posts have been merged into the "Oh so quiet" thread. The lounge says "chit chat welcome".
What's the deal with putting threads that are topics in their own right into a single thread? I can't seem to find any forum rules explaining what should be posted where. Perhaps the mod who has moved my thread about cupcake recipes can tell me why it was moved so that I don't keep on creating posts that you feel the need to move (it's win-win, I don't get confused and you will have fewer posts needing moderation).

infernalis
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
That policy went into effect a couple years ago.

The front page was getting cluttered up with topics about everything else BUT Thamnophis.

It went rampant, we had threads running about dreams, family guy, motorcycles, etc....

This forum's primary focus is Garter Snakes, hence the name Thamnophis.com

To accommodate idle banter, "It's so quiet" was adopted as the place to chatter about non garter snake topics.

Having one single thread keeps the clutter off the portal page, and keeps this forum focused on garter snakes. ;)

chris-uk
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I can understand that. What I didn't understand is why some topics get merged into oh so quiet and others don't. And why the Lounge still says "general chit chat welcome".
If that's the forum policy I'm not going to argue the toss, but would be good if there was somewhere new members could find out about the policy.

d_virginiana
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I've noticed that a lot of nature/ecology/other-snake-species related things won't end up getting merged. I don't really know the exact criteria, but it seems like it's more likely to stay if it is at least tangentially related to the overall forum topic.

infernalis
11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I've noticed that a lot of nature/ecology/other-snake-species related things won't end up getting merged. I don't really know the exact criteria, but it seems like it's more likely to stay if it is at least tangentially related to the overall forum topic.

You just hit the nail on the head ;)

infernalis
11-18-2011, 12:43 AM
I can understand that. What I didn't understand is why some topics get merged into oh so quiet and others don't. And why the Lounge still says "general chit chat welcome".
If that's the forum policy I'm not going to argue the toss, but would be good if there was somewhere new members could find out about the policy.

here it is......

Just a gentle reminder for those members who are unaware..... we try to keep the forum as Garter Snake focused as possible. While we love to see pictures of your other pets/reptiles, please find one of the many older 'My Other Pets' threads to add these pictures to. That way, when members log in, the portal page is predominantly Garter related, rather than numerous 'other topic' threads pushing the Thamnophis topics off the page.
We're pretty flexible in this rule, but if we all make the extra effort to keep our threads on topic, we'll never reach the stage again where we have to search through numerous threads to find anything at all about Garters.

RedSidedSPR
11-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I for one am glad for the "rule" because I can't stand it when forums get cluttered with random stuff! A few threads for that is great, scrolling through peoples random stuff is not.

infernalis
11-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Back in the day it was crazy on here, almost everything but garter snake conversations.

RedSidedSPR
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
yeah i know, i've read a lot of old threads and have a very good idea.:rolleyes:

chris-uk
11-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a good rule. Now I know about it I can follow it. :-)

RedSidedSPR
11-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Or you can give the mods more work and post it anyway.

Don't even think about it.

chris-uk
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Now there's an idea, I'll just keep the mods busy, make them earn their title. ;-)