PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed in the Viv? (Cage)

infernalis
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
pros and cons both ways....

guidofatherof5
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
I feed all mine in there enclosures.
Not sure what to say other then it works for me.
I enjoy the time with them and I know they are all eating.
Heck, I'm retired now. I've got the time :D

kibakiba
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
There should be an option for "other"! :p I hold my babies and feed them by hand, and let the adults and Runt eat inside the tank.

BUSHSNAKE
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
over here everything gets hand or tong feed, its a great way to interact w your pets

katach
11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
For all but Maria and Fish Bait they get pinkies, ready to eat not sticky stop no risk of eating substrate. Maria and Fish Bait get worms cut up into bite size pieces so they don't drag them around, plus it's easier to dust cut up worm.

RedSidedSPR
11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I just feed 'em. Don't have a certain way.. I usually feed in the cage, but 3 (soon 4 when oscar is done with quarantine) in a 10gallon can be a lot when they're all aggressive feeders.

My concinnus Rooster, likes to go up on the rim of the cage, curl up like a tree python, and beg for food, so he's up on top of the cage, not a problem..

if i'm feeding live food, i will often take either my flame, or my anery, out, holding him or whatever, just cause he goes so crazy.

Sometimes I'll put them all individually on the floor, and feed them one at a time, often for pictures sake.. Sometimes i'll put my cooperative little Rooster right there on the desk with the food and let him help himself, keeping an eye on him, and feed the rest in the cage... sometimes I"ll just feed them all in the cage.. sometimes i take them all out..

I don't use a separate container though, just set them on the floor or desk.

For those who can't picture it, here's Rooster's spot.:)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9752/pa190705.jpg

katach
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I can't move them for feeding. They won't eat.

chris-uk
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Most of ours feed in their vivs. I just take out the little awkward eater and leave her in a RUB because she doesn't like eating when you watch, and that way I can be sure it's her that's eaten the food I've left and not Esk going in for extra.

Didymus20X6
11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Little Dude will eat just about anywhere I give her food, when she's hungry. But Scarlett spooks really easily, so I have to leave her in the enclosure to feed her.

infernalis
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I feed almost all of mine in feed boxes.

Mommy2many
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM
I feed them in food bowls within their enclosures. I have to watch the boys, cause two will both grab the same worm at times. My 2 big girls are fine and only once or twice did my two from Iowa require a referee :)

Mrs N1ntndo
11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I cant vote because what I do isnt up there. I feed mine in a feeding tank because they are still babies(5.5 months) and I dont want them to swllow any of there bedding. But if they are adults I feed them in there encloser. I also sometimes but not often feed by hand. I feed them using hemostats. They dont spook or anything when I go to feed them so I dont have to worry about that.

infernalis
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
That's just picking at semantics, Feeding box, feeding tank, feeding enclosure, livingroom floor, it's all NOT in the cage. ;)

EasternGirl
11-16-2011, 11:20 PM
I alternate between keeping one snake in the enclosure and putting one snake in a feed box...I would feed them both in the enclosure, but I separate them to avoid food fights.

Light of Dae
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I feed mine in a 'feed box' for a number of reasons.

Pros
1. She's sometimes (Getting to be less n less) Flighty and this way I put her in n she settles down just fine n then eats good.
2. I a terrified that she'd swallow her substrate n die on me!
3. I sit her n her box in front of me n watch her (normally).
4. Work on hand feeding in the box n getting her less jumpy when I stand up to go do something else, she sees me, then just goes back to 'hunting' lol
5. It just works!

Cons
1. ..... Can't think of one... its easy to clean, nope that's a pro.... spend time with her, pro again... I know how much she has eaten, pro yet again.... Can't think of a con here.... lol :D

katach
11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I think I would probably do feed boxes, but my snakes won't eat if you move them.

infernalis
11-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I start when they are born, most of my garters don't know of any other way.

katach
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I tried with the babies, but they still refused. Stubborn little buggers.

kibakiba
11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
My babies are used to being fed while I'm holding them. The new guy will be fed a couple times in the tank just to fatten him up a little bit before he gets used to my hand feeding. He's a skittish booger... I've never seen a snake poop and musk that much!

Light of Dae
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
lol mine has to put up with it, otherwise no food lol (unless she were starving! then she'd just have to live on paper towel.)
I just take her out n hold her like a normal 'play' time, then instead of putting her back she gets plopped into a buffet :)

katach
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, Fish Bait just poop/musked all over my hand. I think it's because he can't see right now. This whole shedding process is still new to him. :)

guidofatherof5
11-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, Fish Bait just poop/musked all over my hand. I think it's because he can't see right now. This whole shedding process is still new to him. :)

That called garter snake "Love Potion Number Nine" :D

katach
11-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Maybe I should have Fish Bait talk to Snakey. :D