PDA

View Full Version : A Northwestern's Revenge

guidofatherof5
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Being the nice keeper that I am I ventured out to the backyard to collect some slugs and earthworms for my Notherwestern(T.ordinoides) crew.
I found 2 large slugs, 1 earthworm and 1 nightcrawler.
I went down and opened the enclosure. I work on a first out, first served basis.
The first snake out was one of my red stripped female. I offered a slug and she gladly took it.
I then located my only baby and offered the earthworm. She grabbed it and started eating.
I then served up the last big slug.
It was at this time my male red stripped came out to me. I explained to him that all the food was gone and that if I had it my way I'd feed them slugs everyday but that wasn't the case as all the food was gone.
He continued towards me, reaching up to my face.
He then bit me on the nose and returned to his hide.
Never had a Northwestern do that before.
Sour grapes if you ask me:D

kibakiba
11-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Now you know not to mess with them. They take it to heart when it has anything to do with food. Despite Mama's calmness around everyone, she draws a lot of blood at feeding time. She just will not let go. You don't have to smell like food for her to do it, either.

EasternGirl
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Can I laugh? Steve...I'm laughing right now...is that mean? Yup...don't mess with snakes and their food!

d_virginiana
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I think he knew what he was doing :D

guidofatherof5
11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I think he knew what he was doing :D

I got the message. "Bring more food to the enclosure next time"
The funny thing is they just had their fill the day before.

guidofatherof5
11-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Can I laugh? Steve...I'm laughing right now...is that mean? Yup...don't mess with snakes and their food!

Love the way they have such individual personalities.
I will remember this situation the next time I feed this group.:eek:

katach
11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Sorry he bit your nose, but that is funny. They do get feisty at food time. I think they are rubbing off on my Pugets. Cotton tried to nibble my finger the other day. She didn't bit down and promptly backed off, kind of looked at me like "Oh sorry, that was your finger wasn't it?".

kibakiba
11-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I wish Mama would do that. She bites and pulls hard.

katach
11-14-2011, 12:42 AM
I guess I'm lucky. None of our snakes have ever really bitten us. They may have gotten close but always back off.

PINJOHN
11-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Steve i assume this incident happened some time ago because when i saw you on Skype i noticed your large swollen nose :p:D:D

chris-uk
11-14-2011, 04:25 AM
I'm yet to receive my first bite. This one must have been quite comical to watch. :)

dieselbaby
11-14-2011, 05:12 AM
OMG poor you! im sorry but that had me giggling too. The whole visual lol.. sounds like something that would happen to me...

guidofatherof5
11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Steve i assume this incident happened some time ago because when i saw you on Skype i noticed your large swollen nose :p:D:D

Actually it happened just a few minutes before I posted about it. As I said I had...............wait just a minute.
Are you implying I have a big nose.
I resemble that remark :D

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Last feeding I got chomped on by my big surf city erythristic female. She just seemed FURIOUS that I wasn't going to keep handing her more fuzzies. As I was finishing up feeding the other girls she's with, she made a mad dash for me and chomped onto the meaty part of my ring finger. HARD. There is STILL a tooth stuck in there that I can't get out... it hurts... hehe... she sure showed me!

kibakiba
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Hades does that... He's left a lot of teeth in my fingers that won't come out. I keep fish or worms handy when I hold him to put in his mouth when he strikes... I'd hate for the little guy to lose anymore teeth.

BUSHSNAKE
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
he told you Steve, lol

Mommy2many
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I can only imagine! Looks like you need to go find just one more sluggy!