PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Understand...

Mrs N1ntndo
11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
First off Id like to say Im sorry I havent been around to much lately. We have been so so busy. Anyhow, I have a weird concern I think. Here it goes. I had some baby Easterns on July 29,2011 as some as you already know and I have 4 of them . 2 are my moms (Silky and Diamond) which are growing great but not been eating for about 2 weeks now. There still active. Then theres mine ( Furbie and Whiplash) ; Furbie also hasnt been eating for about a week now. Those 3 arent the ones the questions about. Whiplash is the one Im confused about. She hasnt eaten in a month and is still the size of a newborn which is half the size of the other three. Like I said she hasnt eaten . I know she hasnt cause every feeding they go into a feeding tank and I watch them. When I was feeding them or atleast attempting to none ate again but what I cant figure out is that Whiplash pooped in the tank and if she hasnt eating how is she pooping like she has ate. They are a little over j months and has only shed the 1st time after birth and 1 time at a month old. Why hasnt Whiplash grew and why the poop like that? Im confused . I know its almost to the 6 month point but is this something to be concerned about? Please help me figure this out. She acting like all the others but I dont understand why shes so small and not eating now. How can I help her grow?

guidofatherof5
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Whiplash is still burning energy, probably using any fat stores or muscle and drinking.
There will be waste from this process.
Whiplash may just be a small snake.
What are you feeding? Have you tried guppies?
Not eating at this time of the years is normal with the seasonal changes occuring.

Mrs N1ntndo
11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
right now its been just worms. I know its the right kind and she used to eat them. I havent tried guppies yet. I know the season change will effect that but how long can they go with out eating and still be ok. Shes very active and lots tongue flicking. I understand she can be a small snake but why isnt there any growing. Also how often do they shed cause like I said 2x since birth seems like its not enough.

kibakiba
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
They shed when they need to, whether it's once a week or once a month, etc.

guidofatherof5
11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Slow growers shed less often.

You should also keep in mind that at this age "failure to thrive" can still be an issue.
I'm not saying this is what's going on with your snakes but it can still happen.
I've had babies that never eat last 4-5 months before I had to put them down.

Guppies seem to be a good tool to help trigger feeding responses.
Definitely worth a try.

Mrs N1ntndo
11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I hope thats not the problem either. Also Idk what kind of guppies to get . Exact name please so I know what to get. I dont have a lot of money so I cant do expensive ones.

guidofatherof5
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I usually ask for "feeder guppies"

Mrs N1ntndo
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
what about the size. Am I able to cut it up and that would be ok? I know the 3 would be ok but what about for Whiplash.

guidofatherof5
11-03-2011, 05:48 AM
You'll probably get some small one in you order or you could ask for small ones.
Cutting them up defeats the purpose of the flopping fish phenomenome.(say that 3 times fast):D
Having some worm chunks in with the flopping fish also can be helpful.
This way a missed fish strike might score some worm.
Using a small round container is also helpful as it keeps the snake in close quarters to the food.

Mrs N1ntndo
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM
so I can put the fish,snake, and worm pieces in a bowl with a lid so snake dont get out? How long should I keep her in there for? I can do it with all cause I have enough containers for all.

d_virginiana
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Like Steve said, most snakes slow down at this time of year. If you can bump their cage-temps up a bit that would be good to get them started eating more.

Have they ever eaten anything other than worms? If not, you might want to look into getting a calcium supplement. Normally occasionally eating things with bones (fish, mice, ect.) gives them enough calcium, but only worms might be an issue.

Can you get a pic of the tiny one beside one of the normal siblings just to compare the growth?
Try not to worry too much at this point since it is wild-snake brumation time. :o

katach
11-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Even our piggies have slowed down. They only ate 1 pinkie yesterday, reluctantly at that (except Blade, she will eat everything given an opportunity).
Joe, who got Willow's babies, said the other day that even the good eaters I sent him are slowing down with the food.
If your little ones are drinking and active, just be patient.

d_virginiana
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
It's always a little unnerving when you're used to one that never goes off food, then you get one that regularly goes on fasts.

Mrs N1ntndo
11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I will have to take a pic of them for comparison in the next couple days for you all but I do have an awesome update. The day before yesterday I had my hubby pic up some Talopia. The store was out for a while so thats why they were only eating worms. I had it in my fridge yesterday and some of today to defrost and about an hour ago I cut up some worm and some Talopia and 2 of of the 4 have eaten so far. Furbie had mostly worm and 1 piece of fish. yay. then Whiplash had a couple little pieces of fish and a little piece of worm scented with the fish. WAHOO. Diamond and Silky havent eaten yet but I left them in the feeding tank with some worm and fish and I will check on them in a few. Furbie ate like she was before she stopped.

Heres another question. Whiplash used to eat the worms like the others were before. I dont know if she ate the worm because it was scented or what because when I tried to offer her just a worm she didnt want it. Basically I didnt want her just to eat the fish so I scented it and I dont think she knows ..lol If it works then use it right? Im glad she ate. Im glad that 2 ate . The other 2 didnt eat but they still look and act wonderful. Lots and lots of tongue flicking and very active still. If anything else changes I wil let you all know. Thank you for your help everyone.

guidofatherof5
11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you've got a fairly normal situation going on for this time of the year.
Thanks for the update.