PDA

View Full Version : Snake died

nekura
10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
The newest caught snake died.. No outward signs of injury. I had previously put a little turtle in there with them for just about 15 minutes until I set up its cage, was this what killed her? I also put a new fern plant in there with them with limestone, but I cooked the rocks and the dirt I used so there wouldn't be any parasites. I've been feeding them salmon steaks, but neither have been eating well for some reason. I thought it was because they were uncomfortable without their previous fern, but although I put in a lot of small chunks neither ate. They were eating this before. What has changed? How do I keep the other one alive?

guidofatherof5
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Can you post a few details about this snake.
When caught?
What it was eating?
Type of enclosure?
Any photos?
Thanks.

Finalflash50
10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
It had to have been the turtle water. The turtle carries a substance on his skin that can get you sick if it gets in your eyes or mouth. Who's to say the snake didn't go in the water for a swim. Sorry to hear that the snake died. Did the other snake go in the turtles tank? If so, you might want to take it to the vet.

It might not have been the turtle though. Like Steve said, nobody can really know what happened to the snake unless we have more details.

Again, sorry to hear about the death.

katach
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry for your loss. That is never easy.

nekura
10-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I caught her about 3 weeks ago. Neither went into the turtle tank, I had just set the turtle in their cage for about 15 minutes. I know that turtles carry salmonella, but I had also read other reptiles do as well. I changed the snake water immediately. I had just put the turtle in the cage 3 days ago, would that be enough time to make the snake sick? Like I said neither were eating well far before I had put the turtle in anyway. The turtle was also caught in the exact place that we caught the snakes so I doubt there was anything foreign on it that the snakes already hadn't dealt with.

Can you post a few details about this snake.
When caught?3 weeks ago
What it was eating? Salmon steak from Wal-Mart
Type of enclosure? 10 Gallon terrarium
Any photos? Looks just like the one in my avatar picture, she was very tiny. There was no swelling or anything on her body.

guidofatherof5
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Concidering your answers I wouldn't take too much blame for this death.
A wild caught baby that might not have been thriving to begin with is a tough call for survival.
You should try to get another food source in there. Night crawlers is always a good call.
Sorry again for your loss.

zooplan
10-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Sorry for your loss.

nekura
10-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Thank you for the condolences. They're eastern ribbon snakes and they usually don't eat worms from what it I said. I just bought some safe feeder fish today for the remaining one.

Finalflash50
10-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Oh the turtle went into the snakes tank? I thought vice-versa. If the other snake is still living, put reptisafe in his water and feed him cut up earthworms. He won't eat a whole earthworm if he's a baby because it's almost the same size as him and it intimidates him in a way. That's what my snake eats and I caught him just around the time you caught yours.

Kantar
10-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Look up sudden death syndrome. A snake may look and behave healthy but one day they will suddenly be dead. Lost one to SDS before, I was confused because the other 2 were perfectly fine

ssssnakeluvr
10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I doubt the turtle water did anything..... sometimes babies just don't make, fail to thrive. thats whythey have large litters in the wild. its sad but it happens. sorry for your loss

d_virginiana
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't think putting a turtle in there for that short amount of time did anything to harm the snake, after all they're constantly swimming around in the same wild habitats.

Have you been freezing the walmart salmon steaks prior to feeding? That's always a good idea just to prevent parasites (which are almost always in fresh fish). Also, what is the mercury content in this salmon? I don't think that's what killed your snake, but it's always good to keep those things in mind when you're establishing a diet for the other one.

The feeder fish are a very good idea. From what I've heard ribbons can be difficult to get started on non-fish foods. When you try nightcrawlers, try scenting them with fish first. That'll make them more appealing.

Sorry for your loss :( Like Steve said, it probably wasn't anything you did.

nekura
10-28-2011, 08:29 PM
The steaks are already frozen when you buy them. They're in the frozen seafood section. I'm not sure about the mercury content, but its safe for humans to eat since that's the purpose its marketed for.

I think I'd rather just keep her on a fish diet.. I did try worms before but she wasn't interested, but loves the frozen feeder fish. She's still alive and okay. I also got some calcium supplements for her.

guidofatherof5
10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Mix some worm in with that fish and she'll eat the worms.
Varied diet is best.

Mommy2many
11-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.