View Full Version : are mill worms good or bad for garters

Hazeldarc
10-22-2011, 04:53 PM
i cant find the care sheet are mill worms harmful to garters

guidofatherof5
10-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Mill worms or meal worms?
Never heard of a mill worm.

Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet)

Hazeldarc
10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
meal sorry
and i have a nother question my garters tip of tail has turned brown at the end and looks kinda shriveled up im scared for him

chris-uk
10-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Hazel, a photo of the tail would be really useful.

RedSidedSPR
10-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, they are bad. They are not actually worms, simply bugs, like crickets etc, the snake cannot digest them.

ssssnakeluvr
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM
garters can't digest the exoskeletons of insects. also, sounds like a shed or 2 didn't come off the tip of the tail. it happens, they loose the tips of the tails. happens here and there.... just need to check on them when they shed and make sure it all comes off.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-22-2011, 06:52 PM
your garter snake will not eat mealworms anyways. But no, they should not be offered as food. Garter snakes do not eat insects.

guidofatherof5
10-22-2011, 08:39 PM
meal sorry
and i have a nother question my garters tip of tail has turned brown at the end and looks kinda shriveled up im scared for him

I find tails like this every once in awhile.
I usually pull it off. Sometimes the tip will bleed and sometimes it won't.
For the bleeders I keep a styptic pencil handy. I use a knife and scrap the pencil into a powder.
Putting a little powder on the tip stops the bleeding almost immediately.

zooplan
10-23-2011, 02:49 AM
your garter snake will not eat mealworms anyways. But no, they should not be offered as food. Garter snakes do not eat insects.
Leaving snakes alone with unaccepted living prey is quiet dangerous.
There are lots of examples that snakes may become feed for those.

Hazeldarc
10-23-2011, 05:52 AM
thanks to all i knew he couldnt have them but i had to post and make sure cause my husband didnt know and bought some to give them but i gave them away last night to my neighbor she has turtles and they eat them.... as for his tail im scared to just pull that bit off will it not fall off if i just leave it???

kibakiba
10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
It'll fall off if you leave it. If you're worried about an infection, you can put a little bit of neosporin or polysporin on it... I think chances of an infections are exceptionally low, but you know.